Thread: United 744's to TPA

United 744's to TPA

Gotcha! Not quite. PEMCO took over the old USAirways heavy MX hanger at TPA on the east side of the airport along 36R/18L and yesterday when I cleared security and headded to the terminal area I litteraly dropped my breifcase when I saw TWO United 747-400's at the PEMCO ramp. One was nosed into the hanger and the other was straddling the grass. 747's or widebody jets other than Delta 767's are very rare at TPA. The last time I saw a 747 at TPA was a few years ago when NWA flew a 747-200 in on a charter flight. Somthing to look out for I guess at TPA for my fellow locals. I am sure there will be many other "exotic" types and carriers at TPA in the near future.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Re: United 744's to TPA

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    Gotcha! Not quite. PEMCO took over the old USAirways heavy MX hanger at TPA on the east side of the airport along 36R/18L and yesterday when I cleared security and headded to the terminal area I litteraly dropped my breifcase when I saw TWO United 747-400's at the PEMCO ramp. One was nosed into the hanger and the other was straddling the grass. 747's or widebody jets other than Delta 767's are very rare at TPA. The last time I saw a 747 at TPA was a few years ago when NWA flew a 747-200 in on a charter flight. Somthing to look out for I guess at TPA for my fellow locals. I am sure there will be many other "exotic" types and carriers at TPA in the near future.
    Guess you didn't have your camera with you? :D
    Cessna 6MA Kennedy tower, Rwy 31L, CLEAERD TO LAND!

Nope, and lord can I kick myself for that. I almost NEVER bring my camera down home to Florida from NY because I figure I can get anything I see on the west coast of Florida at JFK LGA and EWR. Guess I learned my lesson! For now on when I am going to use TPA to commute to and fro the camera comes with me.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

I thought I saw what looked like a 747 tail sticking out. I couldnt ID the tail driving on Hillsborough with the Sun Angle and My son chatting away in the back seat on the way to daycare. The Bucs had the Virgin At 747 when they flew to Wembly for that game. I forgot how huge those 74's were up close !!!!

I read on another site that UA will be cycling their entire 744 fleet thru the TPA Pemco hangar, followed by their entire 777 fleet. They all have some 757 work planned their as well.

Back in the mid 70's growing up near TPA Northwest, National, and Air Canada all flew scheduled 747-100 service in and out of TPA and Delta also did for just one winter in I believe 1971-72.

Oh and hiss SRQ it's to bad you were not in the US Terminal at LGA as then you would not have to kick yourself, I can think of quite a few people who would be more than happy to do that for you LOL !

Cheers

LGA777

Quote Originally Posted by LGA777

Oh and hiss SRQ it's to bad you were not in the US Terminal at LGA as then you would not have to kick yourself, I can think of quite a few people who would be more than happy to do that for you LOL !

Cheers

LGA777
    Hahah.... Yeah, I bet. Some things dont change LOL. :borat: :twisted: :lol:

NLovis

Heh there probably planning on repainting all the old colors off now. Its come to that time where the ugly grey is being removed. Yes that shade of grey was ugly.

No, just heavy MX work. The painting is being done elsewhere. Both 744's were already in new colors. I like the grey on the 744 though. It looks so stately.

I was going to ask which livery they were on. Me 2, I much prefer the gray livery on the widebodies, especially on the 777s. I'm quickly getting tired of that new UA paint. It would def. be nice to see some exotic airlines being worked on there! When I was in TPA last year, only thing I saw was a few WN 737s inside.

Ozell (a spotter from the TPA area) was telling me Pan Am also flew scheduled 747s to TPA for a season or two to LHR via a stop in Philadelphia or somewhere in the northeast.

The Pan Am 747-121's operated TPA-IAD-LHR and lasted for a few years, on of which was 1982. Because TPA-IAD was a relativly short flight for a 747 meaning light fuel loads and it often had only 100-200 paxs on board it often treated us to some very short departure rolls and steep departure climb outs.

Cheers

LGA777