Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LIE Tanker Fire

LIE Tanker Fire

This was pretty wild. My wife had gone out walking around 8AM when she called me and said there is a big
    fire somewhere. Looked out my window and saw huge black smoke rising into the blue sky. Put on my scanner as
    I dressed and learned it was somewhere by the LIE. Headed down Old Country Road and pulled into the hotel
    parking lot just west of the LIE service road off Round Swamp. I wasnt the only one. As Nassau 5 flew low
    overhead the smoke and flames billowed out of the truck with amazing intensity. There was a massive FD/PD
    response from both counties as the accident was right on the border on the LIE. They even brought in
    Fire/Rescue 1 Foam Truck from MacArthur Airport which was instrumental in putting out the blaze. And just
    when you thought it was over it flared up again. Took probably about two hours to fully extinguish.
    But traffic was a disaster as the highway was closed in both directions as the heat caused the overhead sign to
    collapse.
    Chopper 12 arrived later and learned that earlier a woman in a car involved in the crash was medevaced out to
    NUMC.
    Even saw a flight of 3 UH-60s out east heading SW bound.

Re: LIE Tanker Fire

Its amazing the driving habits of people. 9 hours later and the LIE is still totally closed in both directions but people still are driving in from the east and west on the LIE and are caught up in horrendous traffic jams. There are so many alternatives to use and alerts are out all over on News radio, TV, internet etc.
    People, cant figure them out. :? :?

So what happened? I haven't heard anything about this. Gas tanker?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Heard about this on the radio. The driver passed away.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

I was on the eastbound Expressway around 8:30 Saturday morning, heading to FRG, and could see the thick black smoke ahead of me. As I got to Exit 46, Sunnyside Blvd, lots of cars were jumping off. Since traffic seemed to be moving ahead of me, I stayed on the LIE, but as I passed 46, I saw cars were heading up the on-ramp to get off the road. About that time, an NCPD Highway Patrol car came up the eastbound side headed westbound, and as he got to me, yelled "The road is closed" and pointed to the on-ramp. Made a U-turn and headed up the Exit 46 on-ramp to the service road. As I was headed up the ramp, the first HP cars were starting to block the roadway. I ended up bailing out of the service road at the first side road, so I never made it to the scene of the accident.

Here's a shot from the service road just past Exit 46:

I passed the scene going westbound around 11:30 Saturday night. The WB side was open, but the EB side was closed at Exit 44, Seaford/Oyster Bay Expressway through to Rt 110, and there was lots of DOT vehicles, including a paving machine, at work.

You got out of there just in time as the traffic got worse as the day went on. People were driving around my neighborhood looking lost.
    They reopened it sometime overnite. What a mess.

This is gonna suck for gettin g out to my hockey game tonight!

You should be fine, Phil, they reopened the eastbound side about 4:30 this morning.

Even if it was still closed jump on the 135 down to Sunrise and than continue east. Sometimes that even works out faster when the LIE is a mess. The lights actually arent too bad on Sunrise from the 135 east.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard
    Its amazing the driving habits of people. 9 hours later and the LIE is still totally closed in both directions but people still are driving in from the east and west on the LIE and are caught up in horrendous traffic jams. There are so many alternatives to use and alerts are out all over on News radio, TV, internet etc.
    People, cant figure them out. :? :?
    The karma gods bit me in the ass today. Was on the Southern State leaving FRG and got caught in a jam
    right before the Rt 107 WB exit. There was a car fire by the exit and traffic was stopped dead. Turned on the
    radio and WINS traffic was reporting it.
    Actually it wasnt so bad as the car was on the shoulder but still.........
    :oops: :oops: :oops:

Glad it's open. My hockey game is actually tonight (Monday). Don't know why I said "tonight" for yesterday.

I read an article in Newsday yesterday saying that the accident was caused by a lady traveling in the middle lane with her flashers on because her car had "Issues."

I can't tell you how much that infuriated me! If your car is having issues and you can't keep pace with traffic, MOVE RIGHT! I'm on the road most of the day and I see this kind of thing all the time. What are they teaching people in Drivers Education these days? I don't drive like a maniac but I usually set the Crusie @ 70mph on the expressway. If someone comes up behind me, I pull to the right and let them pass, I don't sit there in the middle or left lane and hold them up. The Tanker driver wasn't speeding, the woman was traveling between 35-45mph. When he tried to go around her, he clipped her rear quarter.

If I was that tanker drivers family, I would have some choice words for that woman, (Who was unhurt BTW).
    EVERYONE IS THERE TO SEE THE SHERPA!

I hear that CA, they are making a law that you need to move to the right if someone is overtaking you.

If people want to drive slow, that's fine. Just do so in the far right lane. From what I hear about this crash, maybe her mech problems started and she was making her way over to the right lane? If that's the case, then it's not her fault. But if she was having these problems and was just cruising along in the middle still...then I'd blame her for the man's death.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Phil, while htat law is all good and fine, the problem is enforcing them.

How many cell phone violations can you count in a day? That is $$$$ to the state if only they were caught.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187