Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LIE Tanker Fire

Re: LIE Tanker Fire

I think a lot of the people that drive like idiots in such a way do so because they just don't know that they are doing something wrong. A law would create more awareness to it.

I'm glad the road is clear and repaved, but my threat for hockey tonight is this rain and rush hour traffic! I hope it clears up.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    I hear that CA, they are making a law that you need to move to the right if someone is overtaking you.
    Several states already have this law (Colorado comes to mind). The problem, like mirrodie said, is that it's never really enforced.

Impeding traffic is IMO way more dangerous than speeding but going with the flow of traffic...

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie
    Phil, while htat law is all good and fine, the problem is enforcing them.

How many cell phone violations can you count in a day? That is $$$$ to the state if only they were caught.
    How can they be caught when the cops are talking on thei$r own phones? :lol:

In Florida recently they enacted the no cell phones while driving law that has been on the books in NY for a while. It amuses me because the only people you actually see obeying the law is the police themselves. Cant wait to get the car I am buying for my eventual move down there. It has bluetooth built into it and a caller Id comes up on the nav screen. No tickets anymore for me!
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tim #70
    I read an article in Newsday yesterday saying that the accident was caused by a lady traveling in the middle lane with her flashers on because her car had "Issues."
    The story I read was that she had car problems, turned on her flashers, and was trying to get off the road when the truck ran up on her, not that she was cruising along like that. I can see how it would be difficult to get out of the way, when people are blowing by you at 70+mph, not caring that you are having a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tim #70
    I read an article in Newsday yesterday saying that the accident was caused by a lady traveling in the middle lane with her flashers on because her car had "Issues."
    The story I read was that she had car problems, turned on her flashers, and was trying to get off the road when the truck ran up on her, not that she was cruising along like that. I can see how it would be difficult to get out of the way, when people are blowing by you at 70+mph, not caring that you are having a problem.

Forgive me, I can't find the actual copy I was reading yesterday to cite, but that's not what it said when I read it. It said that she was "Having trouble keeping up with traffic due to a mechanical issue so she put on her flashers and was attempting to make it to her parents house in Farmingville." Plainview/Melville is a LONG way from Farmingville. It also said that cars were going around her on both sides so it's not likely that she was trying that hard to pull over.

I can tell you first hand that Massachuttes has a law that states that the left lane is for passing only and extended travel in the left lane could result in a citation. My mom got one of these tickets a few years back and it was like $200. I know for a fact that she only uses the left lane for passing these days.
    EVERYONE IS THERE TO SEE THE SHERPA!

I forget where I heard it - probably on the news over the weekend. But even if she was driving along having problems, you are ultimately responsible for keeping a safe distance from the vehicle ahead of you - how fast was the truck going, and what was he doing? What if someone was stalled in the lane? You need to pay attention to the road and traffic ahead.

No doubt, I agree 100%.

That being said, you & I both know that there are times when you're driving along and all of a sudden something is infront of you that you didn't notice, (for whatever reason) and you're suddenly taking evasive manuevers to avoid an accident. If the women was infact driving in the middle lane with car problems and her flashers on, she should be held responsible for the drivers death as she was creating a road hazard. The "BREAKDOWN" lane is there for a reason.

My whole point earlier is that I've seen this behavior many times in the past & for whatever reason, Long Island seems to be worse than most areas I've driven. I can only think that it a simple case of the driver not knowing the rules of the road.
    EVERYONE IS THERE TO SEE THE SHERPA!

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    I forget where I heard it - probably on the news over the weekend. But even if she was driving along having problems, you are ultimately responsible for keeping a safe distance from the vehicle ahead of you - how fast was the truck going, and what was he doing? What if someone was stalled in the lane? You need to pay attention to the road and traffic ahead.
    Someone wrote here that the truck driver wasnt speeding but I dont believe that has been
    proven yet. Also in one article I read the driver of the car said maybe the sun was in his eyes as it
    was around 8AM and possibly he was momentarily blinded? Whatever the Highway Patrol AI guys
    will be the ones making the final determination. I guess we can be thankful there were no other
    injuries and damage was at a minimum.