Thread: Video: British Airways 747 Haiti Relief Flight

Video: British Airways 747 Haiti Relief Flight

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Re: Video: British Airways 747 Haiti Relief Flight

nice find matt. i'm kinda shocked that they actually popped a slide to unload, though there probably was no other way.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    nice find matt. i'm kinda shocked that they actually popped a slide to unload, though there probably was no other way.
    Yea, those things cost beaucoup bucks to put back in (well over $10,000 IIRC)...

NLovis

Heh G-BYGD. That bird hasnt even been at JFK (as far as I know). Thats good of BA to help out. Will be nice to catch this bird. "Feed Haiti Express" as i'm going to call it now.

That is totally awesome! Even though the plane is not carrying any pax, would it be legal for the plane to return the UK with one chute down? (no pun intended!) Or are all chutes required on the MEL?
    Cessna 6MA Kennedy tower, Rwy 31L, CLEAERD TO LAND!

Quote Originally Posted by ISP Pilot
    That is totally awesome! Even though the plane is not carrying any pax, would it be legal for the plane to return the UK with one chute down? (no pun intended!) Or are all chutes required on the MEL?
    I'm guessing it's fine, especially given the circumstances.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

NLovis

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Quote Originally Posted by ISP Pilot
    I'm guessing it's fine, especially given the circumstances.
    Agreed. Though most likely I think they will head to FL and get a chute there before returning to the UK. If i'm not mistakin BA does fly down there.

It would be legal to MEL as long as there is no one sitting in the section that woukd evac out that door. Although I don't know how many chutes a 747 would have to be missing before it becomes a no-go item.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

NLovis

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    It would be legal to MEL as long as there is no one sitting in the section that woukd evac out that door. Although I don't know how many chutes a 747 would have to be missing before it becomes a no-go item.
    2 if the other door on the back of the a/c was pulled. If not I would say 3?

Looks like an extremely inefficient way of transporting cargo.

NLovis
    Quote Originally Posted by darlyn View Post
    Looks like an extremely inefficient way of transporting cargo.
    In a cargo operation that is def inefficient. In terms if what they did thats really generous of BA. There was no revenu from that flight. Only expenses. BA did not have to do that.

Of course, old Speedbird did a very noble thing by donating their aircraft in a zero-revenue situation. All-around kudos to them for doing so. I'm just saying that one box per passenger seat seems to be wasting space. There probably is a good load balancing or flying object reason for not adding extra supplies in the aisles, but I would love to hear more from whoever coordinated this as to why that specific arrangement was chosen.