Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Airlines F/A's May Vote for Strike as Soon as Fri

American Airlines F/A's May Vote for Strike as Soon as Fri

Bloomberg:
    AMR May Face Attendant Strike Vote as Talks Near End (Update1)

By Mary Schlangenstein

Jan. 20 (Bloomberg) -- American Airlines may face a strike vote by flight attendants as soon as Jan. 22 as the world’s second-largest carrier and the employees’ union approach the end of their bargaining session tomorrow.

Balloting may be pushed back if the two sides are making progress when the talks near their scheduled conclusion, said Laura Glading, president of the Association of Professional Flight Attendants. No walkout is imminent.

The so-called focused negotiations that began Jan. 11 are a bid to wrap up bargaining that began in June 2008 with Fort Worth, Texas-based American trying to reduce its industry- leading labor expenses and attendants pushing for higher pay. The union struck the AMR Corp. unit for five days in 1993.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Re: American Airlines F/A's May Vote for Strike as Soon as Fri

:borat: Look for the pilots to be getting somthing into action soon too.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

AA is broke, and will be broker once JAL bounces oneworld. Everyone will be lucky if they have a job at their current pay, nevermind getting a raise.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Management still get's their cut so why not everyone else. Watch for AA's slow taxi's to get slower and slower. And their F/A's defineately need a raise. Have you ever seen what F/A's make? It is deploreable.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    Management still get's their cut so why not everyone else.
    Exactly. The CEO of Continental refuses to accept a salary until CO makes a full year profit. CO actually reported a quarterly profit so only 3 more quarters of profits to go. Gerard Arpey, the AA CEO, should do the same instead of accepting bonuses on top of his salary while AA is reporting quarterly losses.
    Cessna 6MA Kennedy tower, Rwy 31L, CLEAERD TO LAND!

I saw an Eagle flight at OMA last weekend come in, unload pax and bags, fill up with new pax and bags, and then go to the de-icing pad to get de-iced before take off. The temperature was a few degrees above freezing (like 36/37) there was no precip, and NO other aircraft were getting de-iced prior to takeoff...

Not that I don't think the crew had a reason to get de-iced (could be something with the CRJ (or ERJ I forget) they were flying), or a company policy, or just being very prudent, but I found it really odd that no other aircraft were getting de-iced, and here comes this Eagle flight that just came in an hour before getting sprayed....

Got me thinking...

Quote Originally Posted by USAF Pilot 07
    I saw an Eagle flight at OMA last weekend come in, unload pax and bags, fill up with new pax and bags, and then go to the de-icing pad to get de-iced before take off. The temperature was a few degrees above freezing (like 36/37) there was no precip, and NO other aircraft were getting de-iced prior to takeoff...

Not that I don't think the crew had a reason to get de-iced (could be something with the CRJ (or ERJ I forget) they were flying), or a company policy, or just being very prudent, but I found it really odd that no other aircraft were getting de-iced, and here comes this Eagle flight that just came in an hour before getting sprayed....

Got me thinking...
    AA and Eagle have different pilot and FA unions even though the parent company is AMR. AA has their own in-house labor unions - APA for pilots and APFA for flight attendants.
    Cessna 6MA Kennedy tower, Rwy 31L, CLEAERD TO LAND!

AA should have filed for Chapter 11 years ago like DAL and UAL did, they would have been in far better fiscal shape then they are today. They tried doing the right thing and still can improve their balance sheet but they're a lot of variables that they need to play right. They have reduced their overall debt and narrowed their losses but a spike in fuel prices or a prolonged dip in the economy is going to force them into Chapter 11.

FA's are being greedy and the pilots are acting like children with their PR campaign that’s all over Dallas. They are still paid far higher and work less then a lot of their counter parts. They also need to stop crying about management bonuses. The fact is most company's offer MBO's to their managers and its only fair that if the managers reach their objectives, which btw are often in line with overall company goals, they are paid their MBO bonus if achieved. An MBO is not the same thing as a bonus that is paid based on fiscal results btw.

Also keep in mind bonuses are their too entice you to reach a goal that is outside of your overall job description. The bonus is also their too retain talent that may very well walk to a competitor without the financial incentive. Lose your talent and the company is done.

NLovis

Well AA had enough money to weather the ride thats why they never went into CH 11. But as you inch closer to the actual flight date they really raise prices on tickets and rip you off. If you wanted to book a flight for 7 days from now on super economy it would be close to $1000. If you book 2-3 months in advance they have some good prices otherwise. The service is good as well. As far as everything else goes the F/A's should realise they might be egtting paid more but have a bigger chance of getting laid off. Lets see what happens now.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    FA's are being greedy and the pilots are acting like children with their PR campaign that’s all over Dallas.
    At least they're not BA's unions...the pilot's union is actually encouraging its members to scab as cabin crew if the F/A's strike, which is absolutely insane in the world of unions....not only is scabbing just about the worst thing you can do as far as a union is concerned under any circumstances, scabbing YOUR OWN CO-WORKERS is a whole new level of depravity.

NLovis

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    FA's are being greedy and the pilots are acting like children with their PR campaign that’s all over Dallas.
    At least they're not BA's unions...the pilot's union is actually encouraging its members to scab as cabin crew if the F/A's strike, which is absolutely insane in the world of unions....not only is scabbing just about the worst thing you can do as far as a union is concerned under any circumstances, scabbing YOUR OWN CO-WORKERS is a whole new level of depravity.
    Agreed. Whoever is running that union needs to get a boot to the head :mrgreen: and then a boot out.

I am actually concerned about this scabbing talk. I am also not sure why the union would encourage it. I have been out of my normal circles lately as far as union chatter goes but it does not make sense in the least to me.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter

I don't see how the pilots could "scab" for FAs... Are the pilots trained to evacuate hundreds of people on an aircraft? Even if they are, would the FAA (or whatever European org) allow them to substitute for FAs? If there were no FAs BA would have to augment the "crew" on the aircraft to have like 6 pilots on board to fulfill the requirements of pax to FA ratio.. DOn't see how this would cost less than having FAs on board...

No is the answer to that question. Not part 121 at least to answer your question USAF. That is what left me scratching my head outside thee whole scabbing thing in gen.

How hard is it to train people evacuation procedures? I feel like everyone working on the plane, i.e. the pilots + f/a's should know that stuff.