Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: American Airlines F/A's May Vote for Strike as Soon as Fri

Re: American Airlines F/A's May Vote for Strike as Soon as Fri

It is not hard per se but the at any airline I am familliar with the flight deck crew is not trained on the cabin commands. Obviously since poo poo rolls down hill and the ball starts with the pilots when you commence evacuation there is an understanding but their is no criteria as far as cabin training goes for pilots. In the airlines flight attendants carry an airmen certificate certifying them as F/A's. From there it is diffrences training from equip type to equip type. Everything from doors sim's to evac procedure and sims from subfleet type to sub fleet type. It is actually pretty complex above and beyond what one might think. For example. At my company we have 3 F/A's. We only use F/A's on the Challenger 604 the Legacy and the Gulfstreams. Two out of three are checked out for the Gulfstream and sometimes when we are heavy on Gulfstream flights we actually have to fly without a flight attendant even though the Legacy F/A is avail because that particular F/A is not checked out for G strings. (Though said F/A looks wonderful in them) :borat: :lol: :lol:
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

The UK aviation regs might be different, i.e. the FAs there may or may not have airmen certificates. BA management is even soliciting gate and ramp agents to be trained as FAs. I certainly would not feel comfortable being on a plane with all new recruits relying on them to save my a*s in the event of an emergency!
    Cessna 6MA Kennedy tower, Rwy 31L, CLEAERD TO LAND!

NLovis

Quote Originally Posted by ISP Pilot
    The UK aviation regs might be different, i.e. the FAs there may or may not have airmen certificates. BA management is even soliciting gate and ramp agents to be trained as FAs. I certainly would not feel comfortable being on a plane with all new recruits relying on them to save my a*s in the event of an emergency!
    You rather have somebody trained or somebody who doesnt know what to do? I've spoken my point.

Inflight training is pretty regulated. To be an F/A you have to pass a company physical, learn the commands plus know the tones and light signals from the flight deck. On top of that you need to (as stated before) be proficent in door operation because aircraft doors and procedure from type to type are very diffrent. For example. On a few aircraft you have to open the door from the outside at a gate or the slide will blow. I cant recall which type it was but I remember the process from a training. You verify a ribbon across the window. If there is a ribbon, dont touch the door. Once the ribbon is removed you knock and the F/A will give a thumbs up or thumbs down at which point you do or dont open the door. That is a simple example. People would be amazed at the training process F/A's actually go through in order to be certifyed. I was amazed when I saw what the guys and gals actually have to do.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    How hard is it to train people evacuation procedures? I feel like everyone working on the plane, i.e. the pilots + f/a's should know that stuff.
    Not tough, but I'm thinking more along the lines of a "legality" issue...