Thread: One Year Since US Airways 1549

One Year Since US Airways 1549

It has been one year since US1549 made it's miracle landing on the Hudson River today. What were you doing at the time. Fun tidbit........ US CEO Doug Parker is in town for the 1 year anniversary of the event.

For me, I was at my uncles store in Lindenhurst when the news broke. One of my friends texted me pretty much immediately after the LGA station got wind of the event. I went right out to Manhattan upon finding out.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Re: One Year Since US Airways 1549

Happy Sully Day!

Here's the thread from that day: http://www.nycaviation.com/forum/us-air ... 14729.html
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Funny but where in Lindy were you? I was leaving the Rite Aid on Wellwood, getting back to my office with cold meds on a Thursday night and saw the TV as soon as I walked in.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

I was on West Hoffman. My uncle had a short lived store over there called Eppy Tile which still in some form lives through his construction company. Very close to where you were actually LOL.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

I remember I was getting out of work early from my aircraft maintenance job at Million Air HPN and walked past the pilots lounge to see the happenings on tv... I ended up staying there glued to the tv for a good 2 hours!
    FAA Licensed Airframe & Powerplant Mechanic
    Student Pilot

Their ended up being 4 events yesterday in NYC celebrating the first Anniversary of 1549. The first was a Breakfast held in a Manhattan high rise including the crew, more than half of the passengers, Mayor Bloomberg and Gov Patterson, and Doug Parker among others.

The second was a small (but very nice and appreciated) luncheon for LGA employees at the airport hosted by 3 very appreciative passengers.

The bigest event hosted by New York Waterways reunited many passengers, the crew, and rescue workers who boarded one of the same ferry boats that rescued them who took them to the approx spot in the Hudson they where rescued from. From the TV coverage it looked amazingly festive and at exactly 3:31PM they drank a toast, not with Champagne but with screwdrivers with Grey Goose Vodka, who actually provided free vodka for the event.

The Celebration continued for many of the above with Dinner at a Manhattan resturant.

Despite the tragic events in Hati being such a HUGE news story, especially on local NYC stations with a large Hatian commnunity living here the local press gave this a lot of extremely positive coverage, a few examples are posted below, try and watch the videos, they are pretty cool !

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-be ... 84982.html

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_n ... later-apx#

Cheers

LGA777

I'm excited to say that NYCAviation interviewed the air traffic controller that was talking to US 1549 that day. I'll be posting the article on Monday.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

I was working when a very good friend called me & said " you've got a plane in the Hudson". I thought the worse & we got the best possible out come :borat:
    Train as if your life depends on it. Because some day it may.
    Opinions expressed are my own & not those of my employer.

When I heard it I assumed all were dead. A plane is something you just don't come out alive from. I was in absolute shock when I learned they all survived.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].