Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flight Coverage of Haitian Earthquake Relief

Re: Flight Coverage of Haitian Earthquake Relief

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie
    I just looked at flightaware, as I am a tool and really dont know how to follow AC.

I thought it was an El Al 777 listed. unless El Al is sending a pair of a/c down there.

Nonetheless, still proud to see our kid's descendants unified.

What an incredible sight that air strip must be.
    Apparently El Al did send a pair down there, one 747 and one 777.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/ELY1401 <-- 747 (TLV-JFK-PAP)
    http://flightaware.com/live/flight/ELY1501 <-- 777 (TLV-SDQ-PAP)
    Cessna 6MA Kennedy tower, Rwy 31L, CLEAERD TO LAND!

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Got it. Thanks.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Also, I posted this in another thread and it is related. A group I was previously associated with (Provided ground service and mx) to is dedicated to flying missions like this to Haiti. They also accept donations and supplies if you are not of a capacity to travel with them. www.agapeflights.com
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

NLovis

There a way I can get in to head down there?

You need a inst. rating at bare minimum to fly with them.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

NLovis

Ok. Whats the bare minimum?

The NYC Urban SAR group motorcaded up to Stewart yesterday from Brooklyn but sat on the ground at the AF base waiting to get the "go" to head in. Apparently PAP is still a mess and the USAF is working very hard to get the situation fixed.
    General Russell Honore (ret) was on CNN this morning giving his take on how this sitution needs to be fixed and he said basically the military needs to get in there and take charge setting up drop zones and landing zones for helicopters to bring in supplies, troops and equipment. Helicopters, as many as they can get, are essential to this operation, he stressed.
    He also says the UN down there needs to "man up" and get their act together. :)
    I know he grates some people but I love his candid talk.

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar

FAA lends air traffic aid to Haiti

A seven member team from the US FAA is working with the Haitian government and the US Department of Defense (DOD) to supply technical assistance for air traffic management after a 7.0 magnitude earthquake struck Haiti on 12 January.
    In a statement the US Department of Transportation (DOT) says the FAA's team is working with DOD combat controllers to improve the flow of air traffic moving in and out of the airport.
    The US Air Force reopened the airport on 14 January, and on 15 January its contingency response group was granted senior airfield authority for 72h at the Port-au-Prince airport starting around 15:00EST, says Lt Gen Philip Breedlove.
    Senior airfield authority enables the Air Force to prioritise, schedule and control the airspace at the airport, and this should help increase capacity because the Air Force is capable of handling high-flow traffic, and is familiar with the various military aircraft landing at the airport, Breedlove said during a 15 January media briefing.
    The airport should be able to accommodate between 20 to 30 widebodies and a myriad of smaller aircraft, he says.
    Breedlove also says the US State Department has asked that the Haitian government extend the time that the Air Force has senior airfied authority at Port au Prince.
    As part of its efforts to ease air transport to Haiti, the DOT is also granting exemptions from current aviation restrictions to allow for an expansion of the pool of available aircraft for charter, and is giving authority to operators of large private aircraft to carry supplies to the disaster area and help with evacuations.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/20 ... rt-au.html
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

Anyone see the video of the Navy Seahawk hovering at around 10 feet dumping out supplies while the locals
    ran around near the ship like ants? Pretty wild and dangerous also. Saw debris blowing around which could have hit
    the rotors or sucked into the engine.

A freind from SRQ Mr. Sandborn k/who owns gyrocam is flying k/his gII which he k/has requested I k/not release k/the tail number on to Port au Prionce. There will be another trip tomorrow. Supplies k/and local doctors from SRQ will be on board.

Ok. Whats the bare minimum?
    Come on bro, really?
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

UA sent in a 763 from ORD today 1/21. http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...307Z/KORD/MTPP Flight then continued on to SJU and is planned to return to ORD tonight.
    Cessna 6MA Kennedy tower, Rwy 31L, CLEAERD TO LAND!

NLovis

Quote Originally Posted by threeholerglory
    [quote:1mq4806v]Ok. Whats the bare minimum?
    Come on bro, really?[/quote:1mq4806v]
    Yea really sadly. I know stuff but i'm also oblivious on alot of things. This being one.

I saw an Air Transat A300 and also an AN-124 yesterday. Another favorite airline of mine ( ) also started flights.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

John Travolta flew his 707 in yesterday.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9