Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Major Earthquake Hits Haiti

Re: Major Earthquake Hits Haiti

Belgian A330 and Lynden Air Cargo L-100 enroute right now, checking out the trackers.

There is going to be such a big outpouring of relief, but the airfield can only take so many aircraft at a time. I haven't gotten updates on how it's being managed, butthey need that airport to be a well-ouiled machien to receive, offload and kick the planes out so the next one can get in there.

This disaster is just astronomical.

Mario, very sorry for what your family is going through. Let us know what more we can do. And yeah, that text donating is EASY.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

Sorry to hear Mario I hope the rest of your family is ok.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar

Sorry to hear about the loss Mario. Your family is in my prayers.

The FAA has issued a ground stop for flights departing from the US to Haiti. Currently there are 11 aircraft in holding patterns around the Port Au Prince airport (10 civilian, 1 military). The airport's ramp is currently filled to capacity.
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

Mario, I am really sorry to hear of you and your families loss. Prayers indeed.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

I hope JetBlue sends one of their planes to Haiti(as a charter)..to show support...besides the SDQ flights.
    JETTING IS WAY MORE THAN JUST FREE PEANUTS! JETTING IS ABOUT THE PEOPLE!

Quote Originally Posted by AirtrafficController
    Sorry to hear about the loss Mario. Your family is in my prayers.

The FAA has issued a ground stop for flights departing from the US to Haiti. Currently there are 11 aircraft in holding patterns around the Port Au Prince airport (10 civilian, 1 military). The airport's ramp is currently filled to capacity.
    Is it just me or does it seem like a bad idea to leave all those planes parked there? Why not move them somewhere else after dropping stuff off? What if there's a strong aftershock and they get damaged or the runways are damaged and they can't take off again?
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

The problem is moving hem around to get them out. The ramp looks like somthing out of Aremegeddon from what I have been told by friends who made it in and out yesterday.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

Mario, I am so sorry for your family's loss. I know "sorry" isn't the greatest thing to say, but words fail me now. You guys are in my prayers.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    The problem is moving hem around to get them out. The ramp looks like somthing out of Aremegeddon from what I have been told by friends who made it in and out yesterday.
    I also heard they dont have enough fuel available for the planes on the ground.

I had completely forgotten this oganization exists untill recently but a group called Agape Flights does missionary flying down to Haiti almost exclusively from SRQ. When I was but an aviation tot I used to fuel their Cessna Caravan frequently .
    Considering I did not rebook a return to JFK or ISP from Florida as I didnt want to have pressure on me I might give them a call and see if they need a hand in the right seat on the BE90 or the Caravan. Check them out. They might be very useful for getting funds and items down rapidly. they are not restricted to Port Au Prince by their equipment types so it is easier for them to get resources in.

http://www.agapeflights.com/

My son has been all over us to do something where he can participate as well - the $10 donation he did not see happen. So, when he came home from school today, there was a mailer in his school bag asking for supplies - he wanted to go this evening to get them so he can take them to school on Tuesday - so he now has them next to his school bag - so that he doesn't forget them.
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

Got home late tonite and hadnt heard much about the happenings of today. I turned on CNN (Fox seems unaware there was an earthquake) and saw the wonderful story of an 18 month girl pulled out of the rubble uninjured. But then I watched as a visibly distraught Anderson Cooper talk about "stupid deaths" (people dying from injuries that they would survive if they had any type of medical care) to mass graves where bodies are being dumped without first being identified. People who will be lost forever. Thats just mind numbing.
    Doctors, EMTS, SAR persons, supplies are all pouring in to the area to help but it just seems like it is taking forever to get into the areas where they need to go. And while they try to solve this logistical nightmare more and more people are dying!!!!!!
    This is seriously getting worse before it gets better.
    :( :( :(