Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Major Earthquake Hits Haiti

Re: Major Earthquake Hits Haiti

Spirit offering 5,000 miles to anyone who donates $5 or more to Yele, Unicef or American Red Cross.

http://marketing.spiritair.com/haitirelief/
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Obama has dispatched 2000 US Marines to the scene. Pres Clinton was just on CNN and he says one of the major needs now besides medicine and doctors are helicopters. With roads closed due to the destruction they will be essential to getting rescuers and supplies in and injured out. He mentioned that Russia is sending some of their huge transport copters to the scene. We could see a rotorcraft response on par with Katrina.
    Clinton is the UN Special Envoy to Haiti and holds the country very dear to his heart.
    THis is a tragic story that will be with us for weeks and weeks.

http://www.clintonfoundation.org/

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

I was watching FOxnews w/ Shephard Smith, and noted what appeared to be a Brazilian AF 737 in the background. (as an aside, I usually watch Fox, but I can't believe how much better the coverage was on CNN. Most of the day, Fox continued with its usual political criticism but no good coverage of the quake. Perhaps I expected too much.)

On a personal note, our family has been able to establish that my uncle, his son and their families are alive. My great uncle is ok and thankfully his wife suffered only a broken leg from a wall collapse. We still have more distant relatives that we are waiting to hear from.

THanks for the thoughts + prayers, both on email, text, etc.

And please consider any donations, however large or small.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

On a personal note, our family has been able to establish that my uncle, his son and their families are alive. My great uncle is ok and thankfully his wife suffered only a broken leg from a wall collapse. We still have more distant relatives that we are waiting to hear from.
    That is good news hope more on the way.

CNN showing live shot of USAF C-17 just landed at March AF Base in Cal getting ready to load up members and equipment of the LA County FD Urban SAR Team. Other similiar teams also getting ready to deploy.
    Though the airport is not damaged I believe the Tower is not operational so it must be crazy trying to get in there.
    Anyone have any idea how they are operating ATC? Military in control?

Just saw a line of about 4 aircraft heading south east over Palm Beach - equal distance between them. All who have family there - Mario I know - are in our prayers - my wife has a co-worker who's parents are in PAP - we hope everyone has good news from there.
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Just learned that one of my mom's 2nd cousin's survived with a broken arm and leg. She was found this morning at 5 AM.

Upon arrival at the hospital, no room and she was moved to a triage area.

She passed away later today, it seems from internal bleeding.

What is most urgent is getting the care out ASAP as people may ahve survived the initial tragedy but may be dying needlessly afterwards.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

So sorry to hear that Mario, my thoughts and prayers are with your family and all those touched by this disaster.

Mario I'm sorry to hear. The human toll here is going to be simply mind boggling. The scary thing is without a working gov't or military in place survival instincts are going to begin to kick in and things are going to spiral into complete chaos.

The country's of the America's need to get boots on the ground as soon as possible to minimize further carnage. Has there been reports of any large aftershocks?

Sorry to hear that, Mario. :(
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Anderson Cooper just said Americans are on the ground but nothing large scale yet and I read a disturbing story that the Marines
    might not be there for almost 6 days??!!!
    That cant be right. Here is the story....
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/h ... elief.html

The fact that they couldnt even get the name of the USS Vinson correct makes me wonder if they even know anything
    about the deployment or are just pulling facts out of their butt on the fly.
    In fact as I write this CNN just put up a graphic that the Vinson should arrive tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Tiny bit of good news...Just heard a report that PAP airport is in fair condition despite earlier news that it was heavily damaged.
    PAP wont be able to handle all the traffic so Cap-Haitien International to the north will have to be used also but that is
    a two hour drive on good roads. They will really need the big transport copters. The Marines will probably make good use
    of the Osprey in this mission.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard
    Anderson Cooper just said Americans are on the ground but nothing large scale yet and I read a disturbing story that the Marines

The fact that they couldnt even get the name of the USS Vinson correct makes me wonder if they even know anything
    In fact as I write this CNN just put up a graphic that the Vinson should arrive tomorrow.
    The Vinson will be there soon since it was already sailing in that direction from Norfolk on its way to San Diego. The hospital ship USNS Comfort may take longer as it is docked in Baltimore with few men on board. There are also several Coast Guard ships on the way. Here's a good rundown of the expected US military response: http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol ... 42398.html

Re: PAP control tower: Ann Curry is reporting via Twitter that a USAF C-130 is acting as the control tower. She is sleeping in an Air Canada luggage container tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerard

The Vinson will be there soon since it was already sailing in that direction from Norfolk on its way to San Diego. The hospital ship USNS Comfort may take longer as it is docked in Baltimore with few men on board. There are also several Coast Guard ships on the way. Here's a good rundown of the expected US military response: http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol ... 42398.html

Re: PAP control tower: Ann Curry is reporting via Twitter that a USAF C-130 is acting as the control tower. She is sleeping in an Air Canada luggage container tonight.
    Thanks. The situation is so chaotic it literally changes by the minute.

USA 3000 is flying about 100 relief workers from Boston to PAP tonight.

JetBlue is filling empty seats on SDQ flights with aide workers.