Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Felix 101 - Bethpage

Felix 101 - Bethpage

Went back to take some sunset shots of my old friend

(I know Moose.... I forgot the lightning!)
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Re: Felix 101 - Bethpage

i love the last two fred!
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

Only you Fred, only you. :lol: :lol: :lol:
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Those shots are amazing! especially the second one!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Derf
    I found her Canopy!!!!
    What a great catch, Fred! The last time I saw that canopy, was two years ago, the day they moved Felix to Bethpage, after it was removed and replaced with a new canopy...

ohh you mean this one!!!!!

yeaa that was me taking it off for the last time! :borat:

I realize they know you at Grumman but in general have you or anyone else had a run in with security there? I stopped to take some shots at about 2:30PM and was chased away. I went back a few weeks later, this time at night, and the same thing, a Grumman security officer stated no stopping for pictures this is a secure area. I was walking by the way, my car was parked on the other side of the road in the lot.

Just curious?
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

Yep.... I have been stopped a few times and they say that you can not take pictures towards the Government Secured Facility, but then will not let you by the guard shack to shoot the other way! Some of the Guards will let you walk around the aircraft and do anything short of jumping on it and swinging a big 10 gallon hat like Slim Pickens riding the nuke bomb in Dr. Strangelove! When I asked the Grumman guys what they thought, I was told that they spoke to the guards and asked to allow photography, but at night I am sure they just don't understand. The plane is a very low priority and securing state secrets is there job. They are REAL security that carries LOADED WEAPONS and not any type of typical rent-a-cop. They will out-shoot most marksman and are some of the brightest guys I have ever ment. Most have the memory of an elephant.

In closing, some are happy you are there and will chit chat with you, others will tell you to buzz off. It is a Government Secured Facility so respect their wishes period. (It does not make much sense...PUT THE BEAUTIFUL AIRPLANE WITH COOL LIGHT WHERE YOU DO NOT WANT PEOPLE TAKING PICTURES) but you have the workers who are Proud and the Security that is still playing with cold war rules.

Anyway, that is my take on it

Thanks for the info. Both times I didn't feel like arguing or pleading my case so I just walked away. Maybe next time I try I will break out the work ID and hope that smooths things over.
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

I've been there a couple of times at night, and never had a problem. I even stopped by the guard booth to let him know what I was doing, and he acted like he couldn't care less that I was taking pictures.

Here are a few from last night

Beautiful work Fred. I will have to make it a point to swing in there on my next trip out onto the island.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Great night shots of Felix, Fred !!
    Just curious, was there any problems dealing with the Guards there the other night ?

Why would they need, or want to, remove the canopy, only to replace it with another canopy, especially since the original is just sitting in a lot?