Thread: TSA at LAX....

TSA at LAX....

No, this isn't about the druggies that were just in the news... this one is different..

"Keep 'em Flying"

Re: TSA at LAX....

IMO: The TSOs who are probably Behavioral Detection Officers since they are on the sidewalk appear to be assisting the LAPD Airport Police from a person who was just going to interfer with them. He wasn't just taping them he began to move forward and question them. As you can heart the cameraman immediately begins to curse then threatens the female TSO by saying he will throw her down the stairs.

This was definitely the wrong way to go about taping and it is obvious he was looking for an altercation. While not there I would say the TSO did a good job of blocking the cameraman and disrupting what he wanted to do. Whether she actually touched him can't be seen and I would say the man said she did for the camera audio.

Before someone states it is public area and they have no right understand he is on airport property and can be asked to leave and stop taping. This is different than shooting at plainview or another public spotting area but similar to some of the other private areas such as the parking lots.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

The guy's a douche, but I don't think the TSA has any legal authority to prevent or hinder him from filming on airport property. Does the TSA hold any jurisdiction? Can the TSA legally approach someone and ask them to leave airport property, or can that only be done by a law enforcement official or higher?

Quote Originally Posted by USAF Pilot 07
    The guy's a douche, but I don't think the TSA has any legal authority to prevent or hinder him from filming on airport property. Does the TSA hold any jurisdiction? Can the TSA legally approach someone and ask them to leave airport property, or can that only be done by a law enforcement official or higher?
    You beat me to it. I was going to ask the same questions.
    Train as if your life depends on it. Because some day it may.
    Opinions expressed are my own & not those of my employer.

He (camera man) comes off poorly here in tone I thought, but reading his blog (fairly politically right wing) he is apparently a former police officer who frequently films police actions and makes videos available to law enforcement; I doubt he was going to interfere in the arrest.

Doesn't appear he got charged with anything either... probably owing to his ID and pedigree.

He is Paul Huebl, Licensed Private Detective-Former Chicago policeman-Investigative vlogcaster.

http://www.crimefilenews.com/2009/12/ts ... pe-at.html

According to him at least..

In case anyone was wondering what the law and TSA regulation are about photography at California’s airports…

California has no laws prohibiting photography at airports. Permits are required for commercial film projects. News gathering photography is also protected by the First Amendment.

TSA Regulations RE: Photography.
    2.7. PHOTOGRAPHING, VIDEOTAPING, AND FILMING SCREENING LOCATIONS

A. TSA does not prohibit the public, passengers, or press from photographing, videotaping, or filming screening locations unless the activity interferes with a TSO’s ability to perform his or her duties or prevents the orderly flow of individuals through the screening location. Requests by commercial entities to photograph an airport screening location must be forwarded to TSA’s Office of Strategic Communications and Public Affairs. Photographing EDS or ETD monitor screens or emitted images is not permitted.

B. TSA must not confiscate or destroy the photographic equipment or film of any person photographing the screening location.

C. Whenever possible, x-ray machine images must not be visible to the public or press. When physical constraints prevent x-ray images from being fully protected from public viewing, TSOs must ensure no member of the public or press is in a position to observe an x-ray monitor for an extended period of time.

Passengers and other unauthorized individuals must not be allowed to view EDS or ETD monitors and screens.

D. In addition to this policy, local laws, State statutes, or local ordinances may prohibit photographing, videotaping, or filming screening locations. TSA management must ensure that TSOs are familiar with these State or local laws. However, State and local authorities must enforce such laws. TSOs must alert an LEO to individuals who may be violating these State or local laws, but must not confront these individuals.

I wouldn't really know of course.... just reading like everyone else....

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

He used strong language from the get go and was the one who escalated the situation. I still believe she was assisting a LAPD when she saw someone coming upon the officer making an arrest. TSA can assist law enforcement in their duties. She did the typical getting in the way of the shot. He did the typical "you assaulted me".

Nothing unusual.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

He was some distance away in the first shot..freeze frame it as you go.

It's a shame he put the music up. You can turn up the volume and then you hear "Sir, you need to stop filming". Why though? Why does he have to "stop filming"?

I can 100% understand where she might have been concerned he was walking up to/towards the situation... with unknown intent. But her command is clearly "you have to stop shooting".

But yeah, in order for her to ascertain what was going on, since it might be concluded he was going to interfere he'd probably have to stop filming to answer a couple of questions... produce credentials etc. Its just a really sorry situation we've gotten ourselves with these terrorist scum...

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

I know Paul and I can honestly say he is nothing more than a trouble making douche with very droopy jowels who is a disgrace to the shield. The only thing that surprises me is that he wasn't filming this "expose" in drag again. Please do not take this clown seriously.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

The guy with the camera is acting like he's out for trouble. No reason he couldn't shut his camera off for two mins ask why he can't film and perhaps resolve the situation. Its not out of place to see someone get locked up outside the terminals at LAX. I've seen it a few times in my travels there, once while spotting in 2005. Two people got taken in for w/e reason....

Quote Originally Posted by wunaladreamin
    I know Paul and I can honestly say he is nothing more than a trouble making douche with very droopy jowels who is a disgrace to the shield. The only thing that surprises me is that he wasn't filming this "expose" in drag again. Please do not take this clown seriously.
    REALLY???

His "promo" wouldn't inspire me to ever hire him... it's intent seems to be to be "folksy" with some humor thrown in, but it seems a little "off" or odd ... check it out..

"Hire your private investigator here" // "So you wanna be a private eye"

"Keep 'em Flying"

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

Yes really. He's a grade "A" asshat. Paul has stirred up much more trouble than this, been laughed off of numerous LEO forums and was chased off the job in Chicago. Nobody in law enforcenent takes him as anything more than a joke, and neither should you.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

NLovis

The TSA have no power outside that building. The guy shouldnt have been filming but the TSA woman had no power to tell him to stop filming. If that guy did press charges the worker could have countered with the threats he said. He seemed like he would have actually thrown her down the stairs from his attitude.

I'm not going to get into should the guy be filming or not, but I will agree with the previous poster in that the TSA had no authority to interfere. I would've told them to go pound sand.
    Train as if your life depends on it. Because some day it may.
    Opinions expressed are my own & not those of my employer.

Quote Originally Posted by NLovis
    The TSA have no power outside that building.
    Actually not true. TSA/DHS as a Federal Agency has broad powers across the United States and Territories same as any other federal agency.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by coachrowsey
    I'm not going to get into should the guy be filming or not, but I will agree with the previous poster in that the TSA had no authority to interfere. I would've told them to go pound sand.
    But ya know what, you come off like an ******* like this guy clearly does then you've lost. The old saying "you get more with
    honey than you do with vinegar" is so true. Case in point the recent incident in EWR with PAPD. The guys cooperated with the
    officers, sure their cards were taken but in the end everything worked out and maybe a new spirit of spotting cooperation has
    been forged.
    Act like a human being and more often than not things will work out for the best.