Thread: Small fire at old TWA hangar

Small fire at old TWA hangar

QUEENS (WABC) -- A small fire broke out inside the historic former TWA hanger at Kennedy Airport.

Eyewitness News is told the fire was in a refrigeration room at the TWA Flight Center, a building not currently in use.

Firefighters responded and quickly put out the blaze.

Officials say the fire did minimal damage to the building, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

It opened in 1962 as the original terminal designed by Eero Saarinen for TWA at Kennedy Airport.

The cause of the fire is under investigation.
    http://gothamist.com/2010/01/08/overnig ... ilding.php
    http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?secti ... id=7207420

Re: Small fire at old TWA hanger

Why are they calling the terminal a hangar?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Honestly wondered the same thing and questioned my own knowledge as I posted it...and also why they spelled hangar with an 'e' - I followed suit as I questioned myself AGAIN. Why I assume the news is right and I MUST be the idiot is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    Why are they calling the terminal a hangar?
    Because they don't know any better.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

North Bergen, New Jersey, United States, 111685032180118, North Bergen, New Jersey

Re: Small fire at old TWA hangar

its just as annoying as when they use the word 'Tarmac' when talking about the ramp/apron.

NLovis

The building is abandoned. They probably have stuff still running in there not being maintained. That stuff is bound to break sooner or later. Which in this case it was at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by NLovis
    The building is abandoned. They probably have stuff still running in there not being maintained. That stuff is bound to break sooner or later. Which in this case it was at that time.
    It's not technically "abandoned", Port has been working inside restoring it and removing asbestos. Chances are the fire could have been related to work being done on the building. In fact they've made great progress inside restoring most of the public areas to like new condition.

NLovis

Oh wait i'm thinking something else my bad. xD

The work @ T5 TWA's old building is starting to wrap up-All the asbestos has been removed. They took the film off the windows so you can now see through. We are hoping it will be open to the public in time for our 10th anniversary next month. We will be putting some check in kiosks in there but thats it. The Port will be opening the building to outside interests to see what would go in there. We have heard and read that maybe a museum, a restaurant or maybe a hotel. We shall see.
    "You above all"

NLovis

Yea I noticed that as I passed by. I could see inside. Looks great wonderful job :borat: