Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snow in Florida

Snow in Florida

Just thought I would let you guys in on a rare occurrence in the State of Florida.

http://www.cfnews13.com/Weather/Default.aspx

Slight chance of Snow Flurries/Sleet on Saturday. No accumulation (duh) but still close to unheard of!
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

Re: Snow in Florida

Orange juice is going to get expensive. :(
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

I guess so. California makes oranges too. Maybe you should look for the "Made in California" label on there and save some money
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

While growing up in Zephyrhills, about 30 miles northeast of Tampa it snowed one Feburary in the mid 70's. I think it ended up being about a half an inch on the ground but it was still fun for most of us.

Rumor has it they had to deice some aircraft this morning at MCO due to ice buildup on the aircraft over night.

Cheers

LGA777

Everyone at my office told me about the last occurrence of snow in South Florida - Jan 19, 1977 - in which there were even snow flurries in the Bahamas and there was snow all the way down to Homestead. It's going to be an interesting weekend!
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

There were delays yesterday and today at TPA, MCO, DAB, and MLB as far as I know. I'm sure SFB and PIE had some issues too, but I didn't check on any G4 flights. The 6 AM DL MD-88 (as DL1954) from DAB to ATL was delayed nearly an hour and a half this morning. The 6:30 AM US departure from DAB-CLT was not affected. DL1878 from MLB-ATL took a two hour delay yesterday.
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

It also snowed sometime in the mid 80's though extremely light flurries. My parents were in Brandon at the house they had there at the time when it occured. I am glad I am not sticking with my plan to go this weekend to SRQ. I am suprised that they even had deice equipment at MCO to handle that situation. Maybe JAX I could see but not MCO. Now with the FAA hammering down on the whole no polished frost takeoffs the airlines must have been losing their heads today.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Quote Originally Posted by LGA777
    Rumor has it they had to deice some aircraft this morning at MCO due to ice buildup on the aircraft over night.
    I hear that MCO and airports south of there don't have any deicing equipment. Makes sense, but can anyone confirm?
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

I cannot say I have ever seen a single vehicle there. Maybe Servisair shippied a bunch in from points north but I never once saw any at MCO in any of the storage areas.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Forecaster are calling for a slight chance of sleet/rain mix for 2 hours in the TPA/MCO area for Saturday Morning. Best chance of a snow event is looking like from Vero Beach up to the DAB area where therte is a window of possibility of a slight dusting on cars,lawns,roofs, and anything other than pavement due to a low that may form east of the penninsula and wrap some atlantic mositure over a shallow surface cold layer.

I can confirm that MCO has no deicing equipment. According to local news stations, the planes took delays so the Florida Sunshine would deice the wings.

On another note:

Jacksonville, FL had their first white Christmas in 1989.
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

PBI and FLL also do not have de-iceing equipment.
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

Well, it is Saturday January 9, 2010 and I have thrown a few snowballs. Cars got a thin blanket this morning as did other objects.
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

Sleet in Tampa. 2 PM temp of 36 degrees

How are the roads? Alot of accidents yet with the locals? My parents said that people are acting like the world is coming to an end down in Sarasota. :lol: :lol: