Thread: Military Helicopter(s) in daily formation flight out of FRG?

Military Helicopter(s) in daily formation flight out of FRG?

OK, I don't have photos, but it was certainly a strange sighting. For the last 3 straight days (at various times in the afternoon), I've seen what looks like a Blackhawk chopper (or similar) flying north from the direction of Republic - usually with one or two other "regular" looking (Jetranger?) helos in loose formation. They were about 1,000 to 2,000 feet up, I suppose, and flying at a leisurely pace. It was hard to ID them because they flew directly overhead - my office is on Rt. 110 in Melville.

Anybody know what these flights are about?

Re: Military Helicopter(s) in daily formation flight out of FRG?

After some digging I found outthat the blackhawk is being used to film a movie with Angelina Jolie in it. The other civillian choppers are for filming purposes. They are filming in Bethpage near the abandoned grumman stuff.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

I believe it is "Salt" and has been filming all over the area. Interesting that the military let the movie production
    use a Hawk or did they get one off the shelf from Sikorsky?

I doubt they got a bird off the shelf so to speak but than again, anything is possible. I just cant see Sikorsky tossing a short term lease out like that on one or any customer for that matter. Just my opinion but than again my company only has one helicopter and it was built when Magnum PI was still big.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    I doubt they got a bird off the shelf so to speak but than again, anything is possible. I just cant see Sikorsky tossing a short term lease out like that on one or any customer for that matter. Just my opinion but than again my company only has one helicopter and it was built when Magnum PI was still big.
    Could have been the military lending them the use of ship/crew. "24" has been using lots of military copters/jets over the years as
    have a lot of productions.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard
    Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    Could have been the military lending them the use of ship/crew. "24" has been using lots of military copters/jets over the years as
    have a lot of productions.
    http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=516

From the article Gerard posted:
    “Transformers’ is science fiction. The Army has never fought giant robots, but if we did, this is probably how we’d do it.”
    Great, so now when giant robots attack Earth, all they have to do is rent "Transformers" to learn how the Army is going to fight them. So much for OPSEC...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: