Thread: NTSB Report on October Delta 767 Taxiway Landing in Atlanta

NTSB Report on October Delta 767 Taxiway Landing in Atlanta

The NTSB has published a preliminary incident report regarding the Delta 767 from Rio de Janeiro which landed on a taxiway at Atlanta Hartsfield Intl. Airport on Oct. 19th. The report cites a number of unusual circumstances which preceded the error, in which luckily, no one was injured.

+ A check airman became sick enroute and was relocated to the main cabin.
    + A medical emergency was declared to ATC via Delta dispatchers.
    + Runway 27L was being used for arrivals that morning, but ATC offered the crew use of 27R via a sidestep approach, to put them closer to the terminal in order to expedite aid to the sick check airman.
    + Because it was not the baseline approach runway at the time, 27R's ILS and approach lights were not operating.

http://www.ntsb.gov/NTSB/brief.asp?ev_i ... 5636&key=1
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Re: NTSB Report on October Delta 767 Taxiway Landing in Atlanta

so it wasn't their fault

Quote Originally Posted by afr022
    so it wasn't their fault
    They haven't made a final ruling on that yet. I'm pretty sure they'll still be found at fault despite the circumstances.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

I think there will be some pilot fault but considering circumstances there will probably not be a huge amount of blame sholdered to the crew actually. If they have good aviation lawyers they will beat the rap all together.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

they'll probably say there were mitigating factors involved, but ultimately it's up to the crew to realize they're not landing on a runway.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.