Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Passenger Lights Firecrackers on Northwest Flight!

Re: Passenger Lights Firecrackers on Northwest Flight!

And nice column today by Michael Daly advocating who should be running DHS.....

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... urity.html

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Turner

By all means, turn up the dial I suppose.

But I was actually referring to the profiling though....

Tom
    But then the politics jump in. Some day hopefully I can tell you what happen the night before the liquid ban started...
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard
    Everyone screaming about the TSA but in this incident the problem started in Nigeria then Amsterdam which is not controlled by out TSA/DHS. Correct?
    And I dont usually fly a lot but since my youngest son has been in UA at Tucson I've been out there 5 times
    since June 08 and one trip to L.A. and I've never had one problem with TSA who always been courteous and professional.
    Of course now that I've seen "Up In The Air" I will always follow Asians!! :)
    LOL, everytime I see the commercial for "Up In The Air" I laugh because it is so true.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

And nice column today by Michael Daly advocating who should be running DHS.....

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... urity.html
    Kelly and Bratton's ego's are too big. Timoney would be good.
    Ronald Reagan

CIA wants all the toys in the sandbox as usual.

(CNN) -- The father of terrorism suspect Umar Farouk AbdulMutallab talked about his son's extremist views with someone from the CIA and a report was prepared, but the report was not circulated outside the agency, a reliable source told CNN's Jeanne Meserve on Tuesday.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/12/29/air ... index.html
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway
    Everyone screaming about the TSA but in this incident the problem started in Nigeria then Amsterdam which is not controlled by out TSA/DHS. Correct?
    And I dont usually fly a lot but since my youngest son has been in UA at Tucson I've been out there 5 times
    since June 08 and one trip to L.A. and I've never had one problem with TSA who always been courteous and professional.
    Of course now that I've seen "Up In The Air" I will always follow Asians!! :)
    LOL, everytime I see the commercial for "Up In The Air" I laugh because it is so true.
    Absolutely. Once I was on line and there was this elderly woman with more jewelry than Mr. T and I told my wife, watch
    she's getting the extra special TSA treatment. And she did. :lol:

Much of the technology even currently used was originally used for other reasons mostly medical. The ETDs are originally mass spectrometers for labs (a nice clean lab). X-Rays and CTX are the obvious.

The ETP is an ETD with an air generator to stir up microscopic materials, thus the puffer nickname. The ETP wasn't stopped because of false positives. The problem that happen with the ETPs were the read times, particularly the GE model. The spec was a few second read. They were tested in the FAA tech center in Atlantic City and appeared to work fine. When they were deployed, the read times increased up to as much as 30 seconds and the maintenance from a dusty airport is very expensive. Can you imagine the lines if it took 30 seconds for each person to go through? GE actually bought the Smith Detection Division who produces their ETP. Hopefully they are working on a model that will actually work in an airport environment. There was still the need for a metal detector. Many of us suggested a combo model, one of the problems is the air generator disrupts the electromagnetic field. The ETDs/ETPs work very well and actually there aren't false positives. The ETP does a chemical analysis, there are many common products (hand creams, fertilizer, medication and even foods) that use nitrates and other items that will alarm. The ETD is alarming properly.

As far as dogs working instead of ETDs, ETPs, WBIs or other machines please think about it. You would need one per lane with a handler for 24 hours. Dogs only work around 20 minutes at a time otherwise they get burnt out quickly. Just think of the incredible amount of dogs and handlers needed and the great expense that would be? Much, much more then a machine. Dogs are not 100% reliable, with the distractions of an airport there would be many problems.

At this time the WBI are the best technology we have. Companies take a long time to research and produce newer technologies and the TSA certification process has gotten harder. They don't want another puffer scenario where they try to get the technology out before it is really beaten up to prove it's worth.

If the TSA profiled the ACLU sues, they sue over the WBIs.

Trust me there is no one sitting around ringing their hands coming up with ways to make it harder for passengers. I spend most of my time working on ways to make it easier and faster on passengers. There is a delicate balance going on, no matter what the TSA does some one will complain.

I was down at the World Trade Center on 9/11 and many times after. I saw the aftermath first hand, walked through the body parts, went to the funerals of friends and co-workers and fight now for those responders who are sick now because they went down their to help. I will do what I have to do so something like this never happens again.
    Ronald Reagan

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/12/30/2009-12-30_netherlands_to_use_more_fullbody_scanne_for_usb ound_air_passengers_after_foiled_.html
    Yep now extremists will simply use the dozen plus other gateways cities that serve the U.S without a full body scanner. We need to stop reacting and start being proactive.

Great Interview with El Al's ex-head security guy on the subject matter...

He is strongly opposed to the fullbody scanners btw...

http://www.foxnews.com/search-results/m ... tm#q=el+al

Quote Originally Posted by USAF Pilot 07
    Great Interview with El Al's ex-head security guy on the subject matter...

He is strongly opposed to the fullbody scanners btw...

http://www.foxnews.com/search-results/m ... tm#q=el+al
    He's 110% right with his reasoning and opinions, especially about the fear we are creating in this country. You can't defeat an evil if we are affraid of it.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

He's 110% right with his reasoning and opinions, especially about the fear we are creating in this country. You can't defeat an evil if we are affraid of it.
    Of course we are afraid of it, we should be. Also what are we going to do? Adopt EL Als security practices? Though I love them they are logistically impossible to implement for our airlines and amound of pax we want to move. If you want to be safe these scanners are a huge first step. If you don't want them short of having every passenger undress and or get a real pat down we will always have a risk of this attack we saw on Xmas. We have the tools at our disposal. It's about time we used them and stopped listening to the ACLU.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol