Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Passenger Lights Firecrackers on Northwest Flight!

Re: Passenger Lights Firecrackers on Northwest Flight!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Turner
    Unless I am mistaken, if Umar Farouk Abdul Mutallab was on the US No fly list, the aircraft would not be allowed to enter US space. Isn't that right? Haven't aircraft been diverted from US Airspace that have departed Amsterdam in the past due to who boarded the aircraft?

[of course would be terrorists can simply change their names, use other's id and photo etc... ]

Tom
    He wasn't on a no-fly list.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

<< Alhaji Umarum Mutallab, former Nigeria First Bank chairman, ex-minister, told police Saturday, Dec. 26, that the 23-year old Nigerian who tried and failed to blow up the Amsterdam-Detroit Northwest Flight 253 Friday, Dec. 25, is his son. According to family members, he had been worried by his son's extremist religious views and six months ago reported his activities to the US embassy in Lagos. Devastated by the news of the attempted bombing, he said he was surprised his son had been given a US visa. >>

http://www.debka.com/headline.php?hid=6437

Tom
    My speculation is this will be one agency not sharing information with another. This is a personal view.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    Quote Originally Posted by emshighway
    We are going to Super Secret Orange.
    Is that anything like Double Secret Probation? Maybe someone should have gotten Homeland Security the big box of crayons for Christmas, then they could go to Level "Mauve". :shock:
    Heaven help us if we ever reach Elmo!
    The Classified Paperwork coverpages have been updated:
    Ronald Reagan

Unless I am mistaken, if Umar Farouk Abdul Mutallab was on the US No fly list, the aircraft would not be allowed to enter US space. Isn't that right? Haven't aircraft been diverted from US Airspace that have departed Amsterdam in the past due to who boarded the aircraft?

[of course would be terrorists can simply change their names, use other's id and photo etc... ]

Tom
    Yes, that's right, [see the first excerpt I posted, referring to Rep Peter King]. But as you indicated the No Fly list is a US Driven instrument, so no fault to Amsterdam if they don't stop this guy getting on the plane (for who he is at least).

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

[quote=Tom_Turner]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Tom_Turner":zzvqm9zt

Tom
    Yes, that's right, [see the first excerpt I posted, referring to Rep Peter King]. But as you indicated the No Fly list is a US Driven instrument, so no fault to Amsterdam if they don't stop this guy getting on the plane (for who he is at least).

Tom[/quote:zzvqm9zt]

Not by just being on a list. The use of technology such as the whole body imager needs to be accelerated. The threat is moving faster than the technology.
    Ronald Reagan

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

The threat is moving faster than the technology.
    isn't that always the case though?

according to this NY Times article:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/27/us...y.html?_r=1&hp
    The government was vague about the steps it was taking, saying that it wanted the security experience to be “unpredictable” and that passengers would not find the same measures at every airport — a prospect that may upset airlines and travelers alike.
    i for one would definitely fly a lot less if security became more of a hassle and more "unpredictable." i can understand the reasoning behind it, but when i fly out to CA for a few days at a time i like being able to take along everything i need with me in my carry-on. as a non-rev i don't ever check bags, and eventually when i return to being a paying pax i don't think i'd want to either. i'm sure that business travelers everywhere aren't happy with this. yes i know these changes effect international travel more than it does domestic now, but i fully expect it all to come full circle and effect everyone.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

I have several comments about this terrorist act. This guy was permitted to leave his seat to use the restroom during final approach. On my last flight, I was told that passengers cannot use toilets during final approach. According to reports on TV, he prepared his bomb in the bathroom. Why was he permitted to leave his seat? I was even told to turn-off my camcorder during final approach. His father went to the authorities to report his son was acting in a suspicious manner yet he was never placed on a "No Fly" list. Why not? The same thing happened before 9-11. Actor James Woods reported to the FBI that 2 passengers sitting near him were acting suspiciously but no action was taken. It turned out sadly that they were part of the evil hijacking team that attacked us on 9-11. Several of them were even reported by their respective flight schools because they asked for lessons on flying and landing but not how to take-off. That certainly was suspicious. Current security measures seem to harrass the innocent. I hope the TSA drastically changes their screening policies. They go crazy when they see plane-spotters taking photos of aircraft yet are lax about what is brought aboard aircraft.

> Current security measures seem to harrass the innocent. I hope the TSA drastically changes their screening policies. They go crazy when they see plane-spotters taking photos of aircraft yet are lax about what is brought aboard aircraft.[/quote]<

Well it isnt the TSA harassing spotters but I agree with that point.
    What has happened that even though the explosion didnt go off as planned the "terrorists" can claim a "victory".
    They have disrupted TSA security procedures during the busiest air travel season.
    The media is already going wall-to-wall with coverage questioning the Obama administration and our own
    airline security. Much of it negative in tone.
    And of course the psychological impact on the American public.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

just heard that today, 27 december there was another incident on the same flight. aparently the flight crew called DTW for assistance for a disruptive pax.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

A man, possibly Nigerian, locked himself in the bathroom on today's NW253 and became belligerent when the crew knocked down the door and dragged him out. The plane was taxied to a remote area at Detroit Metro airport, passengers were evacuated onto buses.

AP now reporting investigators have determined he was just a businessman who got sick.

Multi-million dollar vs. Delta any second now.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

A man, possibly Nigerian, locked himself in the bathroom on today's NW253 and became belligerent when the crew knocked down the door and dragged him out. The plane was taxied to a remote area at Detroit Metro airport, passengers were evacuated onto buses.

AP now reporting investigators have determined he was just a businessman who got sick.

Only an Angry, Sick Nigerian. All clear given.
    Ronald Reagan

Pretty much a sick man, I just thank god that DL/NW 253 made it into DTW landed safely and the looneytune was captured..
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Our society is losing it.... Terrorists don't have to blow up airliners to mentally destroy us...we are doing it ourselves.

Umar Farouk Abdul Mutallab was not on a No-Fly list but a list of persons of interest. There are over half a million people on that list. Unless there is corroborating or addition information can the person be escalated onto other lists then the no-fly list. I suspect he made the first list due to his father speaking to the US Embassy in Nigeria.

It amazes me people not too long ago complained about the lists and how many people were on them and now they complain not enough people are on the lists. Same with screening, people complain about whole body imagers because of invasion of privacy, the technology was dialed down to avoid this while still working but that wasn't enough. Now people are jumping that screening didn't work. Unfortunately if security is going to work you can't have it both ways.

I work directly with the technology and some of the new stuff coming out is great but it is big, expensive and some slower. This could mean less screening lanes and longer lines. There has been technology that companies made claims that weren't the case. TSA got slammed for trying to make it work.

Do I agree with the latest measures put in place? Not really but I follow my marching orders.

When in doubt the TSA is at fault.
    Ronald Reagan

There is no way EVER that I will get in the nude o scope machine. They can go strait to ....
    Train as if your life depends on it. Because some day it may.
    Opinions expressed are my own & not those of my employer.