Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: American Airlines Crash at Kingston Jamaica

American Airlines Crash at Kingston Jamaica

Reports that an AA plane has crashed and split in two while landing in heavy rain at Kingston, Jamaica. No further details at this time.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Re: American Airlines Crash at Kingston Jamaica

Flight was AA831, a 737-800 from Miami.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

CNN: 145 passengers, 7 crew on board. Jamaican authorities say there are no initial reports of casualties.

AA's Twitter: There have been no reported injuries or fatalities on Flight #331. Standby for updates.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

read that the airplane overshot the runway before breaking into two pieces.

aal331 is the flight number:

http://newsbizarre.com/2009/12/ameri...1-jamaica.html
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,580942,00.html
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Current METAR for Kingston: METAR MKJP 230500Z 35002KT 33000 +RA BKN014 BKN090 20/18 Q1013

CBC reports 40 passengers have been taken to the hospital.

Good lord, this year is BRUTAL! Fingers crossed that it is a totally survived incident. I am anxious to see photographs of the scene.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Reportedly N977AN.

Mr. Futterman got a nice shot of her at LGA in 2005:

AA reports the #2 engine came off, and the left main gear collapsed. Four serious injuries.

I guess it could have been a lot worse...no serious injuries, and no fatalities.

I guess the airplane is a write off though....

This will be a very special Christmas for those on board and their families and friends....
    It's the fares, stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Art at ISP
    I guess it could have been a lot worse...no serious injuries, and no fatalities.

This will be a very special Christmas for those on board and their families and friends....
    You hit the nail on the head. Bun and cheese will taste extra good this Christmas in Jamaica for them.

AvHerald has a picture of the wreckage and it is in at least two peices. Reminds me of the MD80 crash at Little Rock like 15 years ago or somthing. I will be anxxious to see if they landed long because the runway at KIN isnt the shortest in the world.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    I will be anxxious to see if they landed long because the runway at KIN isnt the shortest in the world.
    Almost 9,000 ft, but only a few yards from the Caribbean Sea on either end. Light winds but low vis at the time. Should be interesting.

Indeed, Look at this video I just took from AvHearald. It LEAPED across the roadway, the roadway is set down into a ravine apparently.

And in this one you can actually see the Captain helping a passenger from the scene in a wheelchair. My best wishes to him and his F/O's career. No judgements though. Not yet.

Here a photo I took of that runway while on approach once.You can see how close the ends are to the water.

Glad everyone survived.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].