Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: American Airlines Crash at Kingston Jamaica

Re: American Airlines Crash at Kingston Jamaica

I highly doubt that that airplane will even be contemplated for reentry to service unless it is a Coke can served on a JFK-MIA run for AA in the future. The wing spar is obviously going to have serious damage, the fuse is broken multiple times. They may as well start sending it in parts to a canning factory so I can drink my Pinapple Bigga from it when I get back to Jamaica in March.

I am very anxious to see the findings and initial recreations on this accident. KIN on furthur research has ungrooved surfaces which directly impact the stopping distances when your calculating them. Particularly with a contaminated surface. I am very anxious to see where they touched down though on the runway as well as if they had the autobrakes on MAX which would given weight, prevailing weather conditions and runway surface conditions be the likely setting I would imagine. My 737 background though is on the 300/400 mainly. The TR's on the 737 as a note to some who are maybe less informed or educated on the technical operation of airplanes is not a calculated factor in landing distance for airplane. It is based on brakes.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

If those yellow blocks are concrete in origin, then God was truly with them. A few more feet to the right and forward and that inpact may not have been as survivable for those up front.

Amazing.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    I highly doubt that that airplane will even be contemplated for reentry to service unless it is a Coke can served on a JFK-MIA run for AA in the future. The wing spar is obviously going to have serious damage, the fuse is broken multiple times. They may as well start sending it in parts to a canning factory so I can drink my Pinapple Bigga from it when I get back to Jamaica in March......
    A real airline would just get some duct tape. The only issue I foresee would be the hump in the isle that would make it difficult to push the drink cart over. 8) :borat:
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Quote Originally Posted by mmedford
    You know, looking at those pictures..looks like the fuse broke perfectly where the seams are joined during the assembly...
    Looks a lot like this one, which was a bit more violent, but also no fire.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Want to do a mini-editorial on this site's coverage on this accident. I first learned of it at about 0615 this morning, watched the TV news reports, checked here and the blue site. Spent most of the day away from the computer and rechecked this thread around 2 hours ago but not the blue site.

Whenever events like this happens the blue site is really frustrating because you have to read thru so much crap to find the vital and interesting updates. But here their where timely updates and great selection of daylight photos. And it did not take me forever to find it. Nice job Phil and Gotham Spotter.

Now 2 of my own coments. I feel AA was very lucky to have 2 non-fatal landing incidents in as many weeks (MD-80 at CLT) that both had no fatalities (the 1st had no injuries) that both could have been disasters. Had the 737 gone into the ocean or caught fire it would have had a very different outcome. And since the MD80's wingtip impacted the runway at high speed a cartwheel was probably a realistic possibulity, had that happened it could have easily caused an explosion making the landing possibly not survivable. Either one would have been bad news for AA and god forbide they both went the other way so close together and so close to the Holidays, a PR nightmare in the making. Thrilled none of this happened.

The other about the 737's fuselage break points, when N416US was destroyed overuning rwy 31 at LGA in 1989 the 737-400 broke in almost the same 2 places as both this accident and the Turkish in the photo above.

Nice to be able to end this post without having to type RIP.

Looking forward to more details when they become available.

LGA777

NLovis

Again very unlikely but it is possible. This will mess with AA's outing of its MD-82 and -83's.

Apparently some of the overwater approach lights have been out of service since the end of November.

A 400-meter (1,312 feet) stretch of white lights over the water from the shoreline near the Kingston airport is out, while a 50-meter segment on land near Runway 12 is functioning, Operations Director Stanley Smith said today. The system is supposed to be replaced by the end of January, he said.
    http://www.businessweek.com/news/2009-1 ... ights.html
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by NLovis
    Again very unlikely but it is possible. This will mess with AA's outing of its MD-82 and -83's.
    I don't think one aircraft will actually affect the removal of an entire fleet.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

This should actually work for American actually in several ways. They will take a significant insc. payout on the writeoff. It will also serve to remove a little capacity in the network overall though it is a small number. Good thing they are getting a new 737 every ten days for the next little while eh?
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

NLovis

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    I don't think one aircraft will actually affect the removal of an entire fleet.
    in short it will. They lost a 737 and those 737's are replacing their MD-82 -83. With one 737 gone now they have to keep a MD-80 in service even longer to compensate for the loss.

in short it will. They lost a 737 and those 737's are replacing their MD-82 -83. With one 737 gone now they have to keep a MD-80 in service even longer to compensate for the loss.

He said it best;

This should actually work for American actually in several ways. They will take a significant insc. payout on the writeoff. It will also serve to remove a little capacity in the network overall though it is a small number.

NLovis

Quote Originally Posted by mmedford

He said it best;

This should actually work for American actually in several ways. They will take a significant insc. payout on the writeoff. It will also serve to remove a little capacity in the network overall though it is a small number.
    thats another fact but now what will fly the recent routes? bad rep just to not fly the route cause of a crash

thats another fact but now what will fly the recent routes? bad rep just to not fly the route cause of a crash
    They probably have some spares, worst case they could reduce a frequency or two on a couple of routes.

NLovis

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    They probably have some spares, worst case they could reduce a frequency or two on a couple of routes.
    true true. But then again the 738 seats more then the MD-80's they have so that would be the reduction. After that its way down cause they dont have anything that seats less then the MD-80 unless you fly AE. Any other plane they fly would be an increase. Also note for every 738 they are getting they are dropping 2-3 MD-80's. The spare count is pretty low if any at all.

I'd like a source for the 738 = 2-3 MD80 thing.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].