Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: American Airlines Crash at Kingston Jamaica

Re: American Airlines Crash at Kingston Jamaica

Makes you wonder how far down they landed than, the runway doesnt have much rubber on the other end and likely not much oil slick either in that event to slide on. (That stuff can make braking near nill on a wet runway). I know they had a 12 knot tailwind though. I have never been in and out of the airport in KIN. MoBay is closer to where I lived. Awesome photo either way Phil!
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Glad to hear no one was seriously injured and everyone got off ok. Ashame about the plane though, it was relatively new.

NLovis

No write off yet. No clue exact tail number

Quote Originally Posted by NLovis
    It's broken in half, so write-off seems pretty likely. Tail number is N977AN, which is about eight years old.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Seeing the damage, and the road it jumped over, it must have been quite an impact...really amazing there was no fire or severe injuries.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    It's broken in half, so write-off seems pretty likely.

Ehhh, nothing some speed tape can't fix! :lol:

Glad to hear there were no fatalities. Will be interesting to hear the exact cause of the crash... Where exactly did the aircraft come to rest? From Phil's pic, it doesn't look like there is much room on either side past the ends before you hop into the drink, but looking at the video it appears they are on a raised grassy surface. Did they laterally go off the runway?

Quote Originally Posted by USAF Pilot 07
    Ahhh, nothing some speed tape can't fix! :lol:

Glad to hear there were no fatalities. Will be interesting to hear the exact cause of the crash... Where exactly did the aircraft come to rest? From Phil's pic, it doesn't look like there is much room on either side past the ends before you hop into the drink, but looking at the video it appears they are on a raised grassy surface. Did they laterally go off the runway?
    Phil's photo shows the same approach AA331 was on. They ended up on the far end of that runway, which has a road and a small beach between it and the water.

hmmm, i wonder if I could transfer to there...one ILS...golden

NLovis

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    It's broken in half, so write-off seems pretty likely. Tail number is N977AN, which is about eight years old.
    tain number has been confirmed? yea i know a write off is iniment but they havent actually written it off yet

tain number has been confirmed?
    Yes, it is N977AN, and was confirmed very early.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

[img]http://media.nbcdfw.com/images/640*426/PHOTO_7097699.jpg[/img]

[img]http://media.nbcdfw.com/images/640*426/PHOTO_7097721.jpg[/img]

Here are some new photos from the ground: http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-373400

You know, looking at those pictures..looks like the fuse broke perfectly where the seams are joined during the assembly...

that's definately something...

That thing still had some good speed behind it if it made that jump the way it did. HOLY SMOKES! Amazing pictures. I am very anxious to see the outcomes on this accident.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

NLovis

Quote Originally Posted by mmedford
    You know, looking at those pictures..looks like the fuse broke perfectly where the seams are joined during the assembly...

that's definately something...
    thats actually really good. goes to show you how well that plane is made and why its the most successful line in aviation history. If the fuse broke anywhere else there definitly would have been alot more serious injuries and possibly deaths. Also because it broke at the seams the plane doesnt necessarily have to be a write off. That area can be taken apart and rebuilt as shown with the 747 dreamlifters. It now comes down to wether AA wants to repair the plane or just scrap it. If you look closely at picture #4 you can see the tail end of the plane just split directly at the seam. Its a clean split unlike the front of the plane that is torn up along the split line. Its possible this girl can fly again but very unlikely.