Thread: Republic Airways Mutt Airline Midwest

Republic Airways Mutt Airline Midwest

This past week I took my last monthly biz trip to MKE and experienced the "New Midwest." I think I'm still shaking my head trying to figure out what this operation is. I'll say this, everything you knew of the old Midwest airlines...well its dead, totally dead, even the cookies are terrible now. A few observations....

- I love this one..."Thank you for flying Midwest Airlines, Midwest Connect operated by Republic Airways." HOLY F**K can someone please tell me what Airline I was flying on? Yes I know its really Republic but are they for real?

- No "B" seats. "Ladies and gentleman if your boarding pass has you sitting in a "B" seat please sit in a "C" seat as there are no "B" seats." This was fun trying to explain to the guy in 3D who didn't speak English that 3D was my seat. Yes I could have sat in 3C but I wanted a window, so he needed to move. It seems the planes painted in Midwest colors operated by Republic have "B" seats but the planes in Republic colors...no "B" seats. Good job guys...nothing like confusing your passengers.

- Ok this is minor but seems to me to be a bit tacky and unprofessional. They have a mix of Midwest and Frontier branded service items on board. So you may either get a napkin, cup, or food product with one of their other brands. I know its minor but it just has a garage sale feel to it.

- Noticeable safety violations. Being there is very limited room in the overheads on the E170s and no control over what people take on board, within my general seating area people had briefcases, laptops, and other packages on their laps during taxi and takeoff. The FA's didn't enforce putting these items under the seat (probably because these people had things under their seat already) and let you keep seat backs reclined during landing. The fact is this is dangerous as these items can become projectiles and reclined seats can hamper your ability to get out of your row if need be. They should have enforced carry on limits at the gate and the FA's should have demanded these items be stored.

Overall I was not impressed with the "New Midwest" and will not fly them again. I remember only 5 years ago when I began flying Midwest how great their service was. You had comfortable business class seats, amazing hot meals, and consistent service throughout. Now all you have is a name but nothing that made that name synonymous with great service...its just a name.

Program Coordinator

Re: Republic Airways Mutt Airline Midwest

It's disappointing to hear Tom. Unfortunate that your last trip of the year left a bad taste in your mouth.

I've never flown Midwest proper, though I've heard great things about their service and cookies.

Never had a bad experience with Republic when they operate for DL/US, though the cabin crews are noticeably younger and seem to be less sure of themselves as authority figures. Hell, many of them are just down the road from Boilermaker country.
    "My wife is an air traffic controller. I married her because I've always wanted to screw the FAA." - B. Wulle

Republic is a regional trying to be a big boy but their management is still minor leauge. The good revrend Brian Bedford is starting to show his true teeth too now. As of several days ago he started issuing 90 day notices of cancellation of flight bennies to furloughed Midwest proper crews. Not to mention the fact that the 190 is going to be operated on a regional airline contract using regional pay scales once they work the 190 into the contract at RPA. My big fear about Republic is they are going to play the whipsaw game with Frontier pilots to get them in line with the Republic/Midwest pilots when contract talk time comes. That is not good for anyone. That is when the drowning commences in my opinion. The employees at RPA for the most part are pretty good people. They just havent been around the block long enough to understand what RPA is actually doing. I have several friends on the front and back side of the reinforced door at RPA and to them it's the coolest thing in the world to fly an airplane that looks like a commercial airliner and has 100 seats. The rammifications to their careers as well as the product placed in front of customers is of second to no notice to them.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

T-Bird76...has a Republic Airways Holdings employee, I apologize that you did not enjoy your flight.

Please go here and please let the company know of your disappointing flight and service:

http://www.midwestairlines.com/AboutUs/Contact.aspx

And has for hiss srq...WHAT AIRLINE DO YOU WORK FOR? Because this is the same crap that is posted on flightinfo.com.

There are so many things in your post that are wrong, that I am not going to go into it.

But this comment has me concerned the most:

I have several friends on the front and back side of the reinforced door at RPA and to them it's the coolest thing in the world to fly an airplane that looks like a commercial airliner and has 100 seats. The rammifications to their careers as well as the product placed in front of customers is of second to no notice to them.

What does this mean? you make them sound like a 16 year old with their first car. I do not appreciate this comment on a public forum, on a pilot group yes, but where the american public can read this.

Our crews are safety orientated and customer service orientated

My point is that they do not realize that by flying a traditionally mainline airplane on a regional contract for regional pay with no agreed upon pay scale in their contract yet to match the seating arrangement they are dooming the size catagory of aircraft to end up in the regional catagory. It says to other carriers like US or JetBlue that they can get away with furthur reducing things like pay, contract agreements etc and thus reduce the QOL across the board. I didnt post it on any other boards. I am a former US Mainline Operations Controller. I am in Part 135 aviation with no intentions of ever getting involved in another airline because of carriers like Republic and the rediculous antics taking place. Stand proud for your carrier as you do, I respect that but I do not respect your management or some of the choices your workgroups are making. Plain and simple. It affects everyone else in the industry and as it is this industry is battered and beaten by management types who simply want to turn the best number at the end of the year for themselves without care for the employees. The bottom line is what Republic is doing is not good for ANYONE in the airline industry. If they are going to be a mainline carrer, act accordingly and dump the regional flying. Either that or completely seperate the seinority lists and get a seperate contract so that crews on the express banners cant touch the 190. And as far as this being on a public forum, APC, PPRuNe, flightinfo and all of those other sites are all public forums too. So your point is completely moot. It is my opinion and I am shared in this opinion by many in the industry including many of your own who are not in the stage of "Yay, it looks like a real airliner and has 100 seats" still. RPA is going to be a seperate career path for many if they are not careful. Pilots, F/A's and every other represented work group soon because the "Reverend" is creating a whole new monster. Most airlines wish they shot themselves before they had 50 seaters now after the fact. Soon, many employees are going to feel the same way about regional carriers flying jets un scoped with capacity higher than 88 seats. Fact. So jump up and down, drink the Indy 13 star cool aid all you want but be objective too. Look long term, truely look long term at the ambitions of RPA. Depending on what happens with United and Aer Lingus's new adventure out of IAD with the A330 and contract pilots I wouldnt be shocked in the least if RPA and Skywest jump on the bandwagon next leasing out mainline airplanes registering them elsewhere and than hiring non union crews to man them in order to get around US labor expectations. What ever happened to a hard days work for a hard days pay? Oh yeah, regionals. Thats what!
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

And also on that note. Care to elaborate on the logic behind why Bedford has now decided to yank Midwest furloughee bennies three days before xmas without prior notification after promising the workgroup two years unrestricted travel privladges? And the cost excuse I am sure Indy has been spouting off about cost. Non rev costs nothing because it is non rev. The seats were going empty either way so may as well put a deserving butt in the seat. Classy. Real classy Bedford.

When did Mr Bedford promise the YX furloughs 2 years of un restricted travel? I am not finding that info anywhere. And if they were given 90 days notice that their travel benefits end, well sir that is COMPANY POLICY FOR ALL OF US. If furloughed, we are given 90 days of benefits.

And where did you hear that the YX furloughed employee's travel benefits were pulled? So, show me where you got this info in writing. Talk the Talk, Walk the Walk

So, let's get this straight...a regional airline did not buy YX or F9, Republic Airways Holding Company, did, which in turn owns CHQ/RPA and TCF...all operating individually.

Oh because of Republic, you are in part 135 operations and it is all Republic's fault???

And you are darn right I will stand proud of my company, and when I work our YX division, I take further pride in my work, since those passengers are now paying our salaries, and so do our crews

What does this statement mean? What ever happened to a hard days work for a hard days pay? Oh yeah, regionals. Thats what!.. I work very hard at this regional and so does all my other co workers. I work harder here than I did at a mainline carrier.

So a former US Airways Operations Controller, well I am thinking you were at US prior to the merger with America West, I was at PSA during this time and wondering each day, if that was the last day, until Bedford and Republic bought Mid Atlantic, the LGA/DCA slots and then leased them back to US, giving US the money they needed to stay afloat. And then even after the merger loaning US more money to keep them going. That was okay with everyone, and kept alot of people employed

This statement.....If they are going to be a mainline carrer, act accordingly and dump the regional flying. Either that or completely seperate the seinority lists and get a seperate contract so that crews on the express banners cant touch the 190. ...WTF???? Once again, a holding company owns F9 and YX, and I am sorry, but the pilot union fo both groups and same with us dispatchers have stipulations...so we are all protected in a buyout or merger. The pilot group has not even came out with a new contract, which is in negotiations since the buyouts, so yes, they are still paid what they were......AND THE FRONTIER PILOT GROUP ARE STILL MAKING THE SAME ON THEIR CONTRACT AT THIS TIME. WE ARE ALL REPUBLIC AIRWAYS HOLDING EMPLOYEES, and PILOTS AND THE DISPATCHER WILL BE INTERGRATED INTO A MASTER SENIORITY LIST.

I am not going on this any more, because what you are writing is MOOT.