Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Blizzard Watch for Long Island, Winter Storm Watch in NYC

Re: Blizzard Watch for Long Island, Winter Storm Watch in NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    ...and I'm looking forward to helping them shovel.
    When you are done there, come on over to my place...

I just replaced my 4 slicks with $650.00 tires... Looking foward to pulling that ebrake at on the empty hwy doing 55mph. Last year I got a full 360 and then got control back at about 35mph.... It is allot harder than it sounds to do a full 360 at speed! Neutral, e- brake, steer into and let go of the break as soon as the back is almost completely around and make the car wip from reverse around back forward while throwing it in drive and GOOOoooing!!! Good times!

On dry or wet pavement I can do a perfect J turn with 2 inches in front and 2 inches in back of my tires perfectly within 1 lane. That took a lot of practice and a hell of a lot of rubber to learn!

I Miss my RX-7! Now the kids call it drifting.... I call it DRIVING!

(Tommy saw me do a J-turn once....I think he was too busy watching the helicopter scare the hell out of me!)
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

I just replaced my 4 slicks with $650.00 tires... Looking foward to pulling that ebrake at on the empty hwy doing 55mph. Last year I got a full 360 and then got control back at about 35mph.... It is allot harder than it sounds to do a full 360 at speed! Neutral, e- brake, steer into and let go of the break as soon as the back is almost completely around and make the car wip from reverse around back forward while throwing it in drive and GOOOoooing!!! Good times!
    Unfortunately couple of years back I drove right into the worst storm I have ever seen in the midwest. So bad it was just pure ice. People were doing what Fred just described without pulling the ebrake. In fact I saw a semi go right off the road and tip over. I have to tell you the fun part was when the highway completely iced over and I was doing 25mph and sliding every time I tapped the brake. Here is a shot I took right after I pulled into the first hotel west of OKC with power. I kissed the ground. The fact I was alive and not a scratch on my car was a minor miracle. Fred keep the car home till they get the sanders out!

'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Fred, that is nuts! I got to see video of that!

NIck, I totally remember you telling us that story. Was that 2005 or 06?

Im looking forward to taking the new Pilot into the mall parking lot, shutting down the VSA system and seeing how it handles both with and without it.

Just got home from WAldbaums, got bread, cardamom, ice cream.....essentials for french toast. Sunday will be a cozy day.

Actually, I might try something new: my buddy told us that back in the day, his folks would let him and his bor run out in the snow, barefoot around the house.....sounds like fun!
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Nick, snow is not ice. (doh!). Let me try that again, 11 years ago I hit a patch of black ice on sunrise hwy and was doing abot 12mph. Started to skid and 15 SECONDS later I hit the center divider at about 8 mph. I know what you are talking about when you say you wanted to kiss the ground! But I will drive in fresh powder!!!! It is not like a sheet of ice.

I wish I could mount the iPhone in the windshield for the 360.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Derf

I wish I could mount the iPhone in the windshield for the 360.

Dont you have ducttape?

Get to work! :borat:
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

NIck, I totally remember you telling us that story. Was that 2005 or 06?
    It is a classic story, worth re-telling next dinner date. Dec 2007. It was an episode out of the twilight zone. All of Tulsa and OKC were without power. It was like a nuclear holocaust. The only gas station with power to get gas was a shell station right off I40. I almost had to cave in a guys head with my maglite because there was literally fights going on to get to the pumps. People were running in to the store to get batteries and water. Good reason. They didn't get power for 7 days. Read this.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/12/ ... 7419.shtml I love the quote "We have a massive situation here"
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

And talk about calm before the Storm. Last night I was on the LIE driving to the Midtown tunnel around 9:30 and the skies were so clear you could see the LGA Runway 4 arrivals lining up for MILES and MILES and MILES :) That was very cool.
    I was heading to EWR to pick up my son coming home from Tucson. He missed (read OVERSLEPT) his flight out of TUS, was able to get a ride to Phoenix and US Air to EWR. So my easy 9PM pick-up at LGA turned into an 11PM at EWR. Gotta love it. But hassle free. First time at EWR and was in and out and home by 12:30. Lucky bastard cos if he missed that flight with todays weather moving in..... Even last night airlines were cancelling flights left and right in anticipation of today.

Supermarket was a MADHOUSE this morning. All registers open, bagging people for each line too, moving efficiently actually, and still the lines were deep into the aisles.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

a few years ago on sunrise hwy

Let the FUN begin!

I really don't think we're going to get much. It's always over-hyped.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

On dry or wet pavement I can do a perfect J turn with 2 inches in front and 2 inches in back of my tires perfectly within 1 lane. That took a lot of practice and a hell of a lot of rubber to learn!

I Miss my RX-7! Now the kids call it drifting.... I call it DRIVING!

(Tommy saw me do a J-turn once....I think he was too busy watching the helicopter scare the hell out of me!)
    Do it in an Ambulance, much fun!!! :borat:
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Two pages of posts and it hasn't even started to snow yet!!!

The Liberty is ready to rock and roll!!!!
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

a few years ago on sunrise hwy...
    A few years ago on Tulip Ave in Floral Park:

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Just helped my neighbor get his snowblower ready, so we are all set. It's a big manly machine - electric start, 6 forward speeds, it can move some snow!