Thread: ISP help please!

ISP help please!

Hello everyone, I have been referred to this site by a friend who is one of your regular contributors. Im looking for some help. I am a Seattle based spotter but I will be around ISP for two days, the 21-22nd of Dec. I have never been to Long Island and have never spotted at any NYC area airport. I would like some help as to good locations to spot from at ISP for any time of the day. I understand there wont be a ton of traffic there but I still would like to give it a shot. I wont have the time to get down to the big NY airports for any serious shooting unfortunately. Anyone who could help out in any way would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: ISP help please!

Let me say this as simple as possible....DO NOT SPOT AT ISP! The Police are overzealous and at the least will tell you to leave or worse detain you. I'd spend the time elsewhere, perhaps take a drive up to Port Jefferson Harbor.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    Let me say this as simple as possible....DO NOT SPOT AT ISP! The Police are overzealous and at the least will tell you to leave or worse detain you. I'd spend the time elsewhere, perhaps take a drive up to Port Jefferson Harbor.
    I agree. The cops & security guards there are a bit jumpy.

The only place that I've never had a problem there is the Citibank parking lot at the end of Rwy 6/24. It's not a very good spot for shooting pics but I've never been run out of there before.

I've also sat in the parking lot just past NYJET. There is a vacant building there next to the (under construction) Fuel farm, adjacent to the NYANG hanger. Great view of the runway's & taxiways but you're on borrowed time here. Every time I park, as soon as a security guard drives by, I'm told to move along.

If you are asked to leave, don't try to explain, just go as they're pretty aggressive and will detain you if they feel you're being salty.

You would be much better off going over to Republic to spot. It's only about 20 minutes away and very spotter friendly.
    EVERYONE IS THERE TO SEE THE SHERPA!

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

If you are going to easte your time there, contact the airport supervisor, Rizzuto her name is.

They JUST had a AVIATION ART SHOW at the airport just a few weeks ago. And being that, like Tom, I also went through a Major interaction with their ISP cops back in ....2002 or 2003, I suspect things are different.

I met this women Rizzuto, the airprt supervisor and told her about my old incident. I think things have the potential to change. Id contact her first, let your wish be known and perhaps have her alert the cops that jet geeks will be nearby.

But honestly, if you have access to a car, spend the few hours you'd waste at ISP and hit JFK. Or hit FRG, only 20 minutes west of ISP and you have warbirds and GA stuff as well as the occasional big jet.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Great, thanks for the input, guys. I appreciate all the help. That sucks that ISP is like that, it's just disappointing. Unfortunately I dont have the time available to go all the way down to JFK, I really wish I did. I also have to keep my fingers crossed that the weather holds in my favor but thats nothing unusual for me being Seattle based. I'm going to try and get in contact with Rizzuto lady but if it doesn't work out my next question is where do i set up shop at FRG. Thanks again for all the help.

Didnt they used to have a spotting/viewing area off of Lakeland Ave?

Quote Originally Posted by djlpbb40
    Great, thanks for the input, guys. I appreciate all the help. That sucks that ISP is like that, it's just disappointing. Unfortunately I dont have the time available to go all the way down to JFK, I really wish I did. I also have to keep my fingers crossed that the weather holds in my favor but thats nothing unusual for me being Seattle based. I'm going to try and get in contact with Rizzuto lady but if it doesn't work out my next question is where do i set up shop at FRG. Thanks again for all the help.
    Check out our Farmingdale Republic Spotting Guide. :-)
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Maybe if you send a nice email to the Chief of the Airport Police Greg Decanio ([email protected]) you won't have a problem. The LIMA PD's # is (631) 467-3315
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard
    Used to is the key phrase. That was blocked off to access on or around 9/12/01. Seriously, they put concrete barriers near the street where that 'driveway' entrance was. If you manage to avoid the barriers and park there in the mud, you will not be there for long...and you might visit a nice police station for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by lijk604
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerard
    Used to is the key phrase. That was blocked off to access on or around 9/12/01. Seriously, they put concrete barriers near the street where that 'driveway' entrance was. If you manage to avoid the barriers and park there in the mud, you will not be there for long...and you might visit a nice police station for a while.
    Wow, its been that long? If you go past you wouldnt even know it was there at one time.