Thread: New York Delays -- That Dang Wind

Watchin' EWR from somewhere in the 40.66 x -74.26 range...

New York Delays -- That Dang Wind

Delays at EWR, JFK, LGA, and TEB due to high winds. EWR right now, we seem to be getting the worst of it. At the moment...winds are WSW at 30mph, gusts up to 50mph.

EWR - 1hr 20min
    LGA - 35-45mins and increasing
    JFK - 35mins or less
    TEB - About 1hr

Inbound flights are also being affected before they even leave. Mom is in STL right now waiting to board BTA2447 (with N13566 :D ), and thus far 1hr late on push-back.
    Cheers,
    Matt, W2MJR

Rookie Planespotter/Veteran Railfan
    "The movie should have been called Planes, Trains, & More Planes and Trains! Danged stupid automobiles!" -Anonymous

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

Re: New York Delays -- That Dang Wind

Imagine trying to hold that camera steady? Yikes.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69
    Imagine trying to hold that camera steady? Yikes.
    Yeah...I'm never gonna hear the end of it. :P
    Cheers,
    Matt, W2MJR

"The movie should have been called Planes, Trains, & More Planes and Trains! Danged stupid automobiles!" -Anonymous

You guys are getting the winds that lashed us two days ago... Peak gusts at one point were just shy of 50mph, with sustained right around 35mph. Made for an interesting few days, and brought some COLD temps with it!
    "Never ask an Irishman if he wants another drink... He'll only ask "Why wouldn't I?" in return..." -Lewis Black

Quote Originally Posted by Hussman75
    Made for an interesting few days, and brought some COLD temps with it!
    No doubt! It's -2C here right now in Roselle Park, 3mi from EWR.
    Cheers,
    Matt, W2MJR

That WARM!?! lol We had a low of 6F night before last... Back in the 20-35 low/high range now... Still a bit breezy, but not nearly as bad.

Roselle Park, huh? Did alot of medical pickups down there back about 13 years ago. Lost of back and forth to and from Elizabeth General... Fun times!
    "Never ask an Irishman if he wants another drink... He'll only ask "Why wouldn't I?" in return..." -Lewis Black

I cannot imagine flying today. I know two days ago when we had that front blow through afterwards it was horrible. Two friend flying in the Northeast had diffrent reports for me. One of my friends who is an AWAC Captain reported between 12 and 14 thousand feet moderate turbulence and a friend of mine who is a JetBlue 190 FO had severe turbulence at 7,000 feet over the Atlantic coming to JFK. And yes, it was severe. The aircraft was uncontrolled for about 45 seconds by his account and a jep chart on the FO side landed in the captain's lap. It is bad weather out there.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Quote Originally Posted by Hussman75
    That WARM!?! lol We had a low of 6F night before last... Back in the 20-35 low/high range now... Still a bit breezy, but not nearly as bad.

Roselle Park, huh? Did alot of medical pickups down there back about 13 years ago. Lost of back and forth to and from Elizabeth General... Fun times!
    I'm an EMT in Roselle Park, and go to what is now Trinitas often. And yes...Elizabeth still looks like Hiroshima post-drop.

Yeah...that's worse. Haha. Family in Memphis said it was close to 0F last night. Went down to 22F last night here, with a windchill of 0F.

Back to the topic though... :P
    Right now Winds are W at 34mph, gusts up to 50, 29F with a 14F windchill. EWR still 1hr 20min or more on departures and arrivals. About accurate...her flight was scheduled to depart STL at 12:10CST, and wasn't up until 13:34CST.

Definitely gonna have a tail wind though!
    Cheers,
    Matt, W2MJR

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

tonight's the kind of day i'd love to take the bonanza for a spin around ISP....
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

And you would be plainly put out of your mind. With the wing on that thing you will get your arse reamed on in this weather. If the bug boys are having problems I dont know why the little guys would want to go out and play. Actually. I think from my office I counted about 2 departures that I actually saw of an airplane that were under 12.5 gross weight today.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"