Thread: Our 14yr-old son interested in behind scenes airport tour

Our 14yr-old son interested in behind scenes airport tour

Our 14-yr-old son passionately wants to fly planes & is intensely interested in planes, how they function, air routes....anything to do with flight. If anyone is in the position to give him a behind the scenes look at any of the tri-state airports (we are in Stamford CT), please be in touch !

Lou & Linda

Re: Our 14yr-old son interested in behind scenes airport tour

Hi,

Behind the scenes tours are very difficult because of security these days. However, there are events that are open to the public here and ther for yo to bring you kiddie along!

There is the Kiwanis Club Kids Day event every September at La Guardia (we publicize it heavily) which is free and open to all. Also, next year the Airliners International convention will be in New York, offering tours of the Continental ramp tower, maintenance facility and more, in addition to ramp tours at all three local airports. These will cost money though, but nothing out of hand. Once it's officially announced, you may have to lunge at the tickets!

You can keep an eye here on the site or follow NYCAviaiton or the Airliners International 2010 pages on Facebook.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by lindasue
    Our 14-yr-old son passionately wants to fly planes & is intensely interested in planes, how they function, air routes....anything to do with flight. If anyone is in the position to give him a behind the scenes look at any of the tri-state airports (we are in Stamford CT), please be in touch !

Lou & Linda

If you call ANY control tower or TRACON (numbers are in the phone book believe it or not) they will be more than happy to give you a tour of the tower and related areas... it is common practice for flight students to tour the tower and all it takes is a quick phone call!
    FAA Licensed Airframe & Powerplant Mechanic
    Student Pilot

I'll second Laxgoaly.

AOPA's flight training website has a handy PDF with contact information: http://flighttraining.aopa.org/flightbag/forms/atc.pdf

You should also consider taking him out to one of the flight schools in Danbury or Westchester (or Farmingdale/Islip) and treating him to a 1 hour discovery flight in a Cessna 172. It'll give your son some great exposure to aviation and will help him see why flying is just so cool.

You will have to brace yourselves for "the talk", though. Y'know...about flying lessons. :D

Good job being awesome parents. Enjoy!

Brian
    "My wife is an air traffic controller. I married her because I've always wanted to screw the FAA." - B. Wulle

I would also reccomend looking into CAP (CivilAir Patrol) for him. It is another avenue for him to explore his direction in aviation. Rules make it very hard for us to provide access to people past the need for access level these days. There are many events though in the NY metro area in which you can get your son involved in. I don't know where around the area but Young Eagles is another CAP'ish group which provides youth a chance to go flying. Usually it is one Saturday a month and it is all volunteer on the aircraft owners parts. My company in Sarasota used to host the event every month.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

I did the Young Eagles through the chapter @ Lincoln Park NJ, from there I was hooked, Space Camp, flight lessons, and now my A&P license! on a side note, when I worked line service at TEB the first time Harrison Ford came in (he is a regular flying his Citation, and the spokesman for the young eagle program) I told him my story and how because of that program I got to where I am now, and believe it or not, he was totally excited and wanted to know all about it! very cool guy and a true fan of aviation!
    FAA Licensed Airframe & Powerplant Mechanic
    Student Pilot