Page 49 of 53 FirstFirst ... 39454647484950515253 LastLast

Thread: Jones Beach Airshow 2010

Re: Jones Beach Airshow 2010

Wonderful shots everybody, some are just spectacular. Here is just about my favorite from the show, and yes it is of the high speed pass. And to Lieutenant Commander Frank Weisser if we ever meet the first two rounds are on me!

http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

Here are some from Republic taken outside the fence:

(A little heat haze!)

Thanks

Isaac

Isaac unbelieveable! Outstanding!

Great shots Isaac! That Mustang is pin sharp.

Isaac, AWESOME SHOTS !!!!! :borat: :borat: :borat:

AMAZING shots Isaac!

I soo look like crap but here is a shot from today with the pilots of the A-10's. Many thanks to them and thank you Chris for pushing me to go. My sister still has not shut up about it!

Fred, John, Chris and Christina

Thanks so much for the comments, I appreciate it...

Isaac

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_NY
    Here are some from Republic taken outside the fence:

Thanks

Isaac
    No, thank you. Simply beautiful as is your portfolio. The crazy angles you get are insane. Its amazing how crystal clear your shots are and also how blue the sky is. Very inspiring. Did you take most of these in the morning hours?

George

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar

Since the Airshow ended I decided to re-purpose this thread. Blow is a description of each new section.

Audio Archive: Listen/download the 2010 airshow narration.

Photo's and more: Share & Comment on Photo's and Video's from the 2010 Jones Beach Airshow.

Video Archive:Watch embedded video's from Steve's Airshow World.

Events: A list of aviation related events in the area.

2011 Coverage:Info about 2010 coverage.

Events

A-10 East Departure - Tuesday 8:30AM

Notes

The Audio Archive will be uploaded later this week

The archived version of this thread will be uploaded later this week

The Steve's Airshow video's will be coming soon
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

Nice shots everyone! I brought the family to the show on Sunday and what a beautiful day it was and a great show. However, there was one thing that almost made me decide never to come to another show at Jones ever again. We left Deer Park at 0800 and made good time to the toll booths on the Wantagh. I'd say we hit the traffic on the Wantagh for the booths just past the outer bridge. It was 0840 and it took us 15 mins tops to get thru the booths and get to lot 4 and parked. Thats not bad. Now normally thats it for the delays. At least in the past 6 years I have attended. We walked from the back of lot 4 to the underpass. Now in years past its a quick walk and in no time your thru security and on the board walk. Well we got to the underpass and came to a screeching halt. Mobs of people crammed together in that tunnel. It took ONE HOUR of standing in line to get thru security. We got to the boardwalk at 1000 when the flag jump happened and still had to find our spot on the beach.

This was ridiculous and never happened before. In years past the checkpoints were mostly for the coolers to check for alcohol. Apparently this year was like trying to get on to an AFB (why I don't go to free AFB shows) and every single bag was checked with only two lanes no less. That was unacceptable. I think they took the hint eventually and started giving a cursory look at the bags and just opened the coolers. My friend Eric who arrived an hour after us ended up in lot 3 further west and said he didn't hit this kind of delay when he entered by the west bathhouse. We'll try that next year.

I had my Pro-97 scanner with me this year and heard all the action including airboss. I happend to catch something maybe someone heard about? I picked up a mayday call on the freq used by the 106th. One of their crewmen was injured in a fall and suffered head trauma. On a later call I heard they needed an HH60 for extraction. Has anyone heard about this?

Pete
    Passengers should NEVER leave babies in an infant carrier while it goes through the X-ray machine"
    --TSA.GOV website

Quote Originally Posted by ch2tdriver
    Nice shots everyone! I brought the family to the show on Sunday and what a beautiful day it was and a great show. However, there was one thing that almost made me decide never to come to another show at Jones ever again. We left Deer Park at 0800 and made good time to the toll booths on the Wantagh. I'd say we hit the traffic on the Wantagh for the booths just past the outer bridge. It was 0840 and it took us 15 mins tops to get thru the booths and get to lot 4 and parked. Thats not bad. Now normally thats it for the delays. At least in the past 6 years I have attended. We walked from the back of lot 4 to the underpass. Now in years past its a quick walk and in no time your thru security and on the board walk. Well we got to the underpass and came to a screeching halt. Mobs of people crammed together in that tunnel. It took ONE HOUR of standing in line to get thru security. We got to the boardwalk at 1000 when the flag jump happened and still had to find our spot on the beach.

This was ridiculous and never happened before. In years past the checkpoints were mostly for the coolers to check for alcohol. Apparently this year was like trying to get on to an AFB (why I don't go to free AFB shows) and every single bag was checked with only two lanes no less. That was unacceptable. I think they took the hint eventually and started giving a cursory look at the bags and just opened the coolers. My friend Eric who arrived an hour after us ended up in lot 3 further west and said he didn't hit this kind of delay when he entered by the west bathhouse. We'll try that next year.

I had my Pro-97 scanner with me this year and heard all the action including airboss. I happend to catch something maybe someone heard about? I picked up a mayday call on the freq used by the 106th. One of their crewmen was injured in a fall and suffered head trauma. On a later call I heard they needed an HH60 for extraction. Has anyone heard about this?

Pete
    For Sunday I entered by the West Bath house and to my surprise, no checkpoints of any kind. Walked right onto the beach.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

Quote Originally Posted by eric8669
    Quote Originally Posted by ch2tdriver

Pete
    For Sunday I entered by the West Bath house and to my surprise, no checkpoints of any kind. Walked right onto the beach.
    I believe I walked pass the security check point before 8:30am. I parked at the field 4. I wasn't checked, and so as many people before me. All I had was my backpack. Everything else was visible, monopod, beach chair, my 500L F4 IS and 1dmarkIII.

Quote Originally Posted by gpalz1
    No, thank you. Simply beautiful as is your portfolio. The crazy angles you get are insane. Its amazing how crystal clear your shots are and also how blue the sky is. Very inspiring. Did you take most of these in the morning hours?

George
    Thanks George, These photos were taken throughout the day Sunday. I did move to three different locations to get the best vantage points.

Isaac

They have three checkpoints to access the boardwalk near "show center" The one coming up the walkway from field four. I will admit I never heard of that much of a delay before and I have used that way in a few times.

The checkpoint on the boardwalk entering the area from the west side had 4 stations and no line.

If you want to avoid checkpoints all together park in any lot other than field four and enter the beach before one of the other two boardwalk checkpoints and just walk over the sand to where you want to sit.

There were a lot of people Sunday, 236,000 so it was crowded.

But it took me 10 minutes to get out of field three and hit no traffic on the Meadowbrok leaving at 3:30PM. Ironically they still had the southbound lanes closed.