Thread: CONEY ISLAND AIR SHOW!

CONEY ISLAND AIR SHOW!

Just saw that the T-Birds are scheduled to be the feature act. It's scheduled for 8/28 & 8/29, right after the Atlantic City Airshow.

Anybody have any info on this?
    EVERYONE IS THERE TO SEE THE SHERPA!

Re: CONEY ISLAND AIR SHOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tim #70
    Just saw that the T-Birds are scheduled to be the feature act. It's scheduled for 8/28 & 8/29, right after the Atlantic City Airshow.

Anybody have any info on this?
    Well, where did you get your info?
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

There it is.......

http://www.fencecheck.com/forums/index. ... cseen.html

This is good news. Over the years, Coney Island has featured some nice airshow event... usually they are singular performances... Golden Knights in 85 & 86, Blue Angels in 2000 (and maybe 1998 or thereabouts), and Thunderbirds in the late 70s, (or possibly more recent than that, but certainly then).

Looking forward to it...

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Quote Originally Posted by eric8669

Well, where did you get your info?
    ICAS is going on right now, the T-Birds & Blues just released their schedules.

Another confirmed act so far is the Golden Knights.

BTW,
    No surprise but the Blues are in Jones Beach this year and the T-Birds are in Rhode Island.

Coney used to have an annual air show every year but then they moved to Jones Beach. My favorites were the Blue Angels, the Marine Harrier hovering over the beach and the Golden Knights parachuting onto the sand. Hope that this is true. Who will sponsor these performances? The Jones Beach shows have corporate sponsors.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1
    Coney used to have an annual air show every year but then they moved to Jones Beach. My favorites were the Blue Angels, the Marine Harrier hovering over the beach and the Golden Knights parachuting onto the sand. Hope that this is true. Who will sponsor these performances? The Jones Beach shows have corporate sponsors.

Well, it's on the T-Birds & Golden Knight schedules but like you said, sponsorship is a big thing.

What are the logistics like there? It's not like there is a much parking...

Subway or boat. :)
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Subway or boat. :)
    Yeah subway is probably the best unless you get there real early and find parking. I've gone to two Brooklyn Cyclone games the
    last two years meeting work buddies and took the LIRR to Flatbush Ave then switched to the subway to Coney. Definitely
    longer than driving but more relaxing especially if you have your iPod (me) or a book. Another reason I took the train was I was
    partaking in a number of adult beverages and driving wasnt an option for me.
    That should be pretty cool starting the summer at Jones and ending at Coney.

Hello everyone,
    I was googling for photos of past Coney Island air shows when I found this thread.
    Coney had some grand shows starting the 1950s The last time the Thunderbirds were in Coney Island was 1993! Does anyone have any pix? Could not find any on the web.

I talked with Ted Plana, who is the Director of Air Operations for the CI show and has the same job in Lauderdale. He says the air show weekend in Coney will be part of a citywide Air Force Week. It's a special event which has yet to be announced by its sponsors! I work in Coney Island and wrote about it on my blog. It's exciting that the air show is coming back to Coney...

http://amusingthezillion.com/2009/12/11 ... orce-week/

http://amusingthezillion.com/2009/12/09 ... gust-2010/
    Amusing the Zillion: A former carny kid casts an insider’s eye on the amusement business, Coney Island, and fun places in between
    http://amusingthezillion.com/

I talked with Ted Plana, who is the Director of Air Operations for the CI show and has the same job in Lauderdale. He says the air show weekend in Coney will be part of a citywide Air Force Week. It's a special event which has yet to be announced by its sponsors! I work in Coney Island and wrote about it on my blog. It's exciting that the air show is coming back to Coney...
    Wow that sounds like it will be very cool.
    Actually I believe it was 1998 when the Blue Angels performed at CI. I watched the show from the Marina on Flatbush
    Ave across from Floyd Bennett.
    The Angels also bunked at FRG that year so is it possible they will base there for JB AND CI?
    Something to think about and keep us warm as the cold weather settles in.

@NYCAddict, I believe you are right about 1998 being the Blue Angels. I have since found a press release for the Blue Angels at Coney Island in 2000 and guess that would have been the last air show in Coney. The person who organized says the budget was $100k.

As for the Thunderbirds, their Public Affairs Office told me the last time they were in Coney Island was 1993,

I'm really looking forward to the big event and all the great photos that we'll get to emjoy afterwards!
    Amusing the Zillion: A former carny kid casts an insider’s eye on the amusement business, Coney Island, and fun places in between
    http://amusingthezillion.com/

The Angels also bunked at FRG that year so is it possible they will base there for JB AND CI?
    Something to think about and keep us warm as the cold weather settles in.[/quote]

Actually meant that the TBirds would base at FRG this year for the CI show and Angels for JB show.