Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Computer!

Re: New Computer!

He is right. File Servers don't need to be big workhorses. You just need harddrives.
    Pretty much; 1TB or even 2TB are fairly inexpensive these days...2 of those in a RAID1... your set.

Use a Software RAID program, or if you motherboard supports hardware RAID even better!

Heck, you could even get away with using windows XP, there is avaliable software out there to do remote connectivity as well. Access files from work, redundant storage, what more could you want?

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar

Get 2 500GB hard drives ($120), 1 RAID card ($50), and FreeNAS and you have a file server.
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

I don't see why I'd need a server if it's right here on my computer and complete accessible, but that sounds pretty cool.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    I don't see why I'd need a server if it's right here on my computer and complete accessible, but that sounds pretty cool.
    Home servers are becoming more and more popular as backups, media servers for music, video and pictures. You can easily set it up as a server and have it backup your new PC files on a daily basis.

Wow! Sounds like a heck of a computer. Whoever gave it to you as a gift must think you are pretty terrific. But who gave it to you isn't as important as this: When you are doing right work, the universe supports it. At least, that has been my experience. :)

I hope you conquer the world with it!

He is most certainly an awesome guy. haha
    Email me anytime at [email protected].