Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: NYCAviation on the Today Show - December 16th (Date Change!)

Re: NYCAviation on the Today Show - December 16th (Date Change!)

Phil, great job representing the hobby! It's a fun, light-hearted segment. No harm, no foul.

Al may've gotten a kick out of how his "weather forecasts" are such a big part of the hobby. And Ann seemed like good company, so good times.

And I know it's been a while, but I'm going to start uploading under the name "Benjamin Moore". Priceless.

Bravo!

Brian
    "My wife is an air traffic controller. I married her because I've always wanted to screw the FAA." - B. Wulle

Having just got through watching it, I was, like most others, disappointed by Al Roker - at least Ann Curry tried to get into things, even at the end of the segment talking about the camaraderie. It's a pity they filmed a slow time too - from what it seems it was slow - I've never seen JFK that slow in all the times I have been there. Phil did a great job (or was that Matt??? :) ) explaining. Exposure is exposure and I wonder how much the hits on the web site increased since the show this morning.

Great job all!!
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

You know, I still have not seen it.

But Phil, you met my friend Eddie at my sons bday last year...anyway he saw it and texted me why I wasnt on. But he didnt say anything negative about it.

Too bad I wasnt there. I would have loved to been interviewed ;)
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

ouch... really cold from the anchors...

but they did get my 4R Middle Marker in the shot... *brings a tear to my eye*...one of the most famous middle markers now...

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

Hey, let's call this "asshat spotting!" Look! There's one!!! Al should go back to snorting lines of Bon Bons like they were cocaine.

Whatever man, I say great job guys!
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Hello everyone...I have been reading airliners.net for several years now. I saw the clip on the Today show this morning and told my wife, "thats my new hobby."

I just recently bought a Canon EOS Rebel XS, and need to get a better lense for it to "really" spot well.

I live in Connecticut, about equal distance to BDL and PVD. I wouldn't mind starting small and maybe plan a trip to one of the NYC airports or BOS once things warm up a bit.

I just read the thread about the Today Show on airliners.net and read about the site, so I quickly came over to check it out. I am looking forward to being a regular reader and contributor. I have always loved aircraft and while I don't know the specifics of astro physics, I can have been able to identify an aircraft type since I was a kid. I love spending times on planes and in airports. This should be fun!

Glad to have you, CTN! Eager to talk with and see your photos in the future. Let us know if you have any questions!
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

One thought I had during the airing is who picked the location for the shooting? Why take them to a spot a few miles away from JFK, where the only good shots of aircraft you can get is from cameras with 10000x zoom.. I think it would have been a little more exciting, exhilarating and "enticing" if say you had picked landings lights park or an area right under short final where you actually get real close to the aircraft for the segment..

Quote Originally Posted by USAF Pilot 07
    One thought I had during the airing is who picked the location for the shooting? Why take them to a spot a few miles away from JFK, where the only good shots of aircraft you can get is from cameras with 10000x zoom.. I think it would have been a little more exciting, exhilarating and "enticing" if say you had picked landings lights park or an area right under short final where you actually get real close to the aircraft for the segment..
    Would have been fine had JFK not switched runways just before we got there and the producer did not want to switch locations. Problem with Landing Lights/Planeview is LGA doesn't land on 4 all that often.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    Thanks, Ychocky. They did a 10-minute or so interview with me, and I was a little surprised that none of that aired. Lots of filming that wasn't share.

Maybe you can get that footage and put it on the website. Kinda like DVDs have "Extras" that could be Extras
    for the piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Derf
    Phil, I applaud the effort, Sorry they did that to you and your great site.
    I just want to say that I'm not embarrassed or anything. Al made himself look bad, and the responses to the piece and comments around the web have been incredibly productive and ONLY critical of Al Roker. I don't think anything negative was done to me, NYCAviation, or the hobby. The geek stuff comes with the territory, and the good stuff filters right through. In the end, we and the hobby will always win.
    You have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO BE EMBARRASSED ABOUT. It was a great, though too short, piece. Al though
    came across like a real DICK , just a pompous jerk especially at the end in the studio. Ann seemed much nicer
    even when she said it isnt something she would like to do again but understood what it was all about. I've always
    liked her anyway. Al thinks he's too cool for the room and lord knows I dont know where he gets that atitude from.
    Good work Phil and the guys and girls with you.
    When was that shot if I may ask and how long were they with you?

> I have always loved aircraft and while I don't know the specifics of astro physics<

I can assure you you aint the only one on this Forum that could say that. :lol: :lol:
    The "Big Bang Theory" this isnt.
    Welcome aboard. :)

We did two days of filming I think in October (right guys?). Only one day was with Ann and Al. Ann is SUCH a sweetheart. Al was cranky the whole time and put-off before he even got there.

They didn't use much verbal footage from day one, which included interviews with the spotters in attendance about their favorite planes, and a 15-minute interview with me about the hobby, which I was actually pleased with. I was eager to get some of that on the air to represent the hobby, but they didn't use it.

I'll post more pics from the day later on or tomorrow. :)

If anyone has more questions, please feel free.

One funny part is looking at site stats....seeing how dozens people searched for us, and still got here, even thought their spelling of the word "aviation" was off.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Something interesting to note, we've had eight new members on the forums since the piece aired this morning, more per day (or week, even) than usual. I'd call that a win.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    We did two days of filming I think in October (right guys?). Only one day was with Ann and Al. Ann is SUCH a sweetheart. Al was cranky the whole time and put-off before he even got there.

They didn't use much verbal footage from day one, which included interviews with the spotters in attendance about their favorite planes, and a 15-minute interview with me about the hobby, which I was actually pleased with. I was eager to get some of that on the air to represent the hobby, but they didn't use it.

I'll post more pics from the day later on or tomorrow. :)

If anyone has more questions, please feel free.

One funny part is looking at site stats....seeing how dozens people searched for us, and still got here, even thought their spelling of the word "aviation" was off.
    Ya know if you cant spell AVIATION do we really want them here? :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Thanks for the other info and confirming my impressions on Ann and her co-host whatizname?

Quote Originally Posted by flyboy 28
    Something interesting to note, we've had eight new members on the forums since the piece aired this morning, more per day (or week, even) than usual. I'd call that a win.
    Did they get the private email from Phil concerning the entry fee to join the website?
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :)