Thread: Hofstra Eliminating Football Program

Hofstra Eliminating Football Program

Source: Hofstra to cancel its football program

December 3, 2009 By STEVEN MARCUS [email protected]

Hofstra University is expected to announce the termination of its football program Thursday, according to a source. The dramatic announcement, believed to be based largely on financial reasons, is to be made at an 11 a.m. press conference.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

Re: Hofstra Eliminating Football Program

Sports are always the first to go when schools run out of money. Shame.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Blame the Jets. The rent they paid for practicing at Hofstra probably covered much of the cost of the football program, but now they're gone.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

That's a damn shame.. They have a top notch facility there, I wonder how it will be utilized now. This also could be a ploy to raise more money for the program. Be nice to see them save it.

It is a shame to see. In Florida this would be the last program to go.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

The Administration at Hofstra has been known to be very Anti-Athletics.

GothamSpotter hit the nail on the head. The Jets have kept the program afloat for years and since they pulled out, the program is costing the university a ton of money. They have a 16,000 stadium and they usually draw less than 6,000 per game.

Stony Brook & C.W. Post could really benefit from this. Ever since SB went D1-AA/Scholarship, the college programs on Long Island have been fighting for the quality players. Now, with one less fish in the pond, you will see Stony Brook get the top players and Post will grab a lot of those players that are potential D1, but want to stay close to home.
    EVERYONE IS THERE TO SEE THE SHERPA!

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

That's a damn shame.. They have a top notch facility there, I wonder how it will be utilized now. This also could be a ploy to raise more money for the program. Be nice to see them save it.

It is a shame to see. In Florida this would be the last program to go.

Never happen, Florida programs are always huge, well funded, playing for championships or other big bowl games and stadiums are 4 times the size and always filled with fans and TV. Hofstra sucks and couldn't beat us on the football field.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69
    Sports are always the first to go when schools run out of money. Shame.
    I know, a college puts academics ahead of sports - those bastards!

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69

[quote:2auwdxjf]It is a shame to see. In Florida this would be the last program to go.

Never happen, Florida programs are always huge, well funded, playing for championships or other big bowl games and stadiums are 4 times the size and always filled with fans and TV. Hofstra sucks and couldn't beat us on the football field.[/quote:2auwdxjf]

Exactly, Football is life in Florida for the locals, for the transplants Baseball is life. Most of the high schools in Florida, or at least in my area of Florida's football programs are geared for future FSU and UF players. Hofstra was always a nothing when it came to football. Fact is, football is not life here in NY the way it is in many other states. Most people could care less here about Hofstra unless we are talking Lacrosse.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"