Thread: Atlantis landing video

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Atlantis landing video

Just saw it on the NYCA forum. Awesome video! One question, in the video, you hear a lot of sound. Is that from the chase plane? I am wondering how much sound does the Shuttle glider make as it goes by, if much at all.

Very interesting video!
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Re: Atlantis landing video

Sounds like this was meant to be a PM or something, but I agree! I saw the video the other day and by chance I ran into Suresh's photo of it minutes later. Great new angle and I've wondered the same thing about the sound it makes!
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Re: Atlantis landing video

Airflow over the spacecraft, guys... The Shuttle's not really a clean bird, aerodynamically speaking, and the various shapes and protuberances cause the airflow to make a good bit more noise than one would expect. Also, the noise level will increase as the Shuttle flares, since at that point you have the relative wind impacting the flat belly, and changing direction down and aft, as well as the airflow that goes up and back along the nose, body and over the LEX's. If you stood near a glider landing strip, you'd also hear airflow noises (albeit much quieter)... Anytime you disturb air, it'll make noise- and the Shuttle distrubs a lot of air on final!

Also, there's the sound of the three Hydrazine APU's running (they make sort of a pulsating hiss noise) during rollout (couldn't hear it on this landing, but I've heard it before) and as Atlantis' wheels touched, the T-38 chase birds flew past executing their planned go-around, so there's several pairs of J-85's making noise for a few seconds. If you listen closely, you'll also hear the metallic whine of the brakes as Atlanits slows toward her stop. Pretty cool stuff!

-Brian
    "Never ask an Irishman if he wants another drink... He'll only ask "Why wouldn't I?" in return..." -Lewis Black