Thread: Collecting Airplane Models

Collecting Airplane Models

I have been making plastic model aircraft since the 70's. My house is cluttered with at least 100 model Concordes. Nowadays, model kits are rare so I must purchase pre-assembled models. I was planning to purchase a model of the new Air France A380 until I saw a photo revealing the model bore the old livery; that is why I was unaware that Air France had changed their livery 6 months ago. Anyway, I cannot purchase a model with a non-existent livery so I must wait until the model is re-done. Would you purchase a model with a never-used livery or wait for the revision? I need input. Do any other members construct models or do you spot and do photography only? I once spent over a week constructing a 1/100 scale B747 with great detail including the cockpit seats and controls.

Re: Collecting Airplane Models

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1
    I have been making plastic model aircraft since the 70's. My house is cluttered with at least 100 model Concordes. Nowadays, model kits are rare so I must purchase pre-assembled models. I was planning to purchase a model of the new Air France A380 until I saw a photo revealing the model bore the old livery; that is why I was unaware that Air France had changed their livery 6 months ago. Anyway, I cannot purchase a model with a non-existent livery so I must wait until the model is re-done. Would you purchase a model with a never-used livery or wait for the revision? I need input. Do any other members construct models or do you spot and do photography only? I once spent over a week constructing a 1/100 scale B747 with great detail including the cockpit seats and controls.
    I used to model when I was a kid, 1/72 Spitfires, Messerschmitts, Hurricanes etc..

I started to try and get my head back into it with a Lufthansa MD-11 but not much has progressed.

I'm a fan of the plastic snap kit's (SkyMarks and alike) I have a Delta 777 LR and a US Piedmont Airbus.

I had to purchase a Gemini AA One World 777 when I saw it.

I'd like a KLM MD-11 or a large scale 747 in BA, Virgin or NWA...

I still construct airline models, although getting more and more expensive, and collect pre made airliner models

I spot and just an aviation geek

If I am spending money on it I will just buy a premanufactured one. I get alot of my models as gifts from my stepdad and his clients though. There are people who will build from scratch for sale too if you are looking for real good versions. When I worked for USAirways there is a high up maneger there who builds amazing models from scratch top to bottom. Even the pitot tubes are replicated.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

One model impossible to get was the ANA Boeing 744 "Pokemon". Evidently, it was licensed only for sale in Japan during the 90's. I have seen the model listed for sale but the price was out of the question and the model was small, 1/500 scale. Now, I'm on a quest to get a model of the new Air France A380 since I saw it arrive here last week at JFK. It is available but the livery is incorrect as Air France changed liveries about 6 months ago. I don't want to get stuck with a model bearing a livery that was never used

Thank again, think about this. If you pick up a AirFrance A380 model in the orig. livery that they unveiled the plans with but never flew with your going to have a hard to find model in the long run because they will make more of the new scheme than the old ascheme models by a long shot. I would buy it than buy new livery when it arives.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Program Coordinator

I've been wanting to get into model building - but its so expensive. I collect 1/200 models - but my money is tighter now than it was a month ago so I'm not picking them up very fast. I have 3 - DL 752, NW DC10, Boeing Company 777-200

I built plastic scale models for years, and while I don't build much these days, I'm still an active member (and officer) of a local model club, I think many of you remember my photos from our show earlier this year. I dig out my tools and supplies, and am working on something for our regional show in April 2010.

I don't buy or collect pre-built stuff, I think the only couple I have were given to me.

For once I have to to agree with hiss srq, and it even though it pains me to say this, he is right. The model might even be worth considerably more than it cost now in say 15-20 years. One of the rarest models I have ever seen was of a NW A-320 in the old Northwest Orient 70's scheme as that was NW's scheme when they first ordered the A-320 but one was never delivered that way. A lot of "serious" model collectors think just the opposite of you, they would want what you don't.

My 2 cents

LGA777

Quote Originally Posted by LGA777
    For once I have to to agree with hiss srq, and it even though it pains me to say this, he is right. The model might even be worth considerably more than it cost now in say 15-20 years. One of the rarest models I have ever seen was of a NW A-320 in the old Northwest Orient 70's scheme as that was NW's scheme when they first ordered the A-320 but one was never delivered that way. A lot of "serious" model collectors think just the opposite of you, they would want what you don't.

My 2 cents

LGA777
    :borat: 8)

I see your point about buying the A380 model with the never-used livery as an investment but I don't look at it that way since I would never sell my models. To me, I want a model that closely ressembles the Air France A380 that actually is in service. While such a model would never increase in value, it would give me pleasure to own. Since several manufacturers have already been selling the A380 with the never-used livery, I don't see how that model would ever be a rarity like the ANA Pokemon B744 model which is very rare and costly.

The Air Francemodel A380 with the never-used livery has already increased in price by almost $20 according to the new catalog that I just received. Evidently,the manufacturer is well-aware of the livery change or the model is extremely popular. What other explanation could there be for the sudden rise in price?