Thread: Airtran aborted takeoff

Airtran aborted takeoff

LAGUARDIA AIRPORT, PLANE ABORTED TAKEOFF AFTER REPORT OF POSSIBLE ENGINE FIRE.

PLANE NEVER LEFT THE GROUND.

PORT AUTHORITY EMERGENCY EQUIPMENT on the SCENE THERE IS NO ACTIVE FIRE. THEY ARE INVESTIGATING

NO NJURIES ARE REPORTED.
    BUT FDNY AND EMS ARE STANDING BY.

PLANE WILL BE TOWED BACK THE THE TERMINAL.

U/D NY| QUEENS| *2ND ALARM / AIRCRAFT EMERG*| 99-22-0037| LA GUARDIA AIRPORT| FD REPORTS THERE ARE NO INJS. THE PLANE IS AWAITING FOR ITS BRAKES TO COOL DOWN AND WILL THEN PROCEED BACK TO ITS GATE.| (C) BNN | NEWSDESK/NJC575/NJC4246/NYC714/NJC691

------------------------------------------

Tower stated no fire, no injuries.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Re: Airtran aborted takeoff

What time did this happen?
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Engine fires are no bueno. At least it was just an abort. Sucks for all the people who won't be making it home tonight for Thanksgiving. That plane will most likely be stuck for a few days especially if the crew discharged fire bottles into the engine. Hopefully AirTran can get another aircraft in tonight to get these pax home.

[quote="USAF Pilot 07"]Engine fires are no bueno. At least it was just an abort. Sucks for all the people who won't be making it home tonight for Thanksgiving.

But at least they WILL be making it somewhere alive.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    What time did this happen?
    About 10 minutes before I posted it.

There is debate if there was actually a fire. I heard the tower was pissed because responded a second alarm compliment based on a scanner report, they nor PAPD called them.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

At approximately 9:35 pm Eastern Standard Time, AirTran Airways flight 206 with scheduled service from New York's LaGuardia Airport to Akron-Canton Airport was beginning departure roll on LaGuardia's runway 4 when pilots received an engine warning light. Out of an abundance of caution, the Captain aborted takeoff and came to a safe stop on the runway.

The Boeing 717 with 114 passengers and five Crew Members onboard was inspected by fire department officials and was towed safely back to the gate

Passengers are being transferred to another aircraft and should depart shortly.
    Ronald Reagan

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway
    At approximately 9:35 pm Eastern Standard Time, AirTran Airways flight 206 with scheduled service from New York's LaGuardia Airport to Akron-Canton Airport was beginning departure roll on LaGuardia's runway 4 when pilots received an engine warning light. Out of an abundance of caution, the Captain aborted takeoff and came to a safe stop on the runway.
    Wasn't it runway 13? They were landing on runway 4 at the time.
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Quote Originally Posted by AirtrafficController
    Wasn't it runway 13? They were landing on runway 4 at the time.
    yes. my coworkers in ops and on the ramp reported hearing a loud bank before the airplane passed by our building. to my knowledge nobody saw flames. methinks, compressor stall.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

I can confirm a compressor stall from a friend on scene for the incident. Apparently the bang rocked windows on most of the terminal buildings facing the active. It was partially uncontained. Thy are trying to find parts of compressor blades which were spit out the back. Anyone wana photograph an engine swap. Chances are once its done she will be on the deck (22) for a few hours doing full power engine runs.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Thats so odd that those FADEC equipped Rolls-Royce engines would have a compressor stall... I thought that was a thing of the past since the introduction of FADEC!
    FAA Licensed Airframe & Powerplant Mechanic
    Student Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Laxgoaly
    Thats so odd that those FADEC equipped Rolls-Royce engines would have a compressor stall... I thought that was a thing of the past since the introduction of FADEC!
    You and me both. I am very curious to see what actually caused it. I have seen FADEC equipped jet compressor stall a few times but this is maybe the first time I have seen a report of one on a RR/BMW engine.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

FADEC usually just takes care of the normal parameters, EGT, N1, etc. But a high time engine will have a reduced margin for stalls / surges, especially at high power settings. if other carriers are like US is (was?) full power is always used off 13 due to obstructions. If this B717 had 114 pax , it was certainly heavy and full power would be used.

This video from Youtube is very good in explaining the various reasons for a surge/stall.

Quote Originally Posted by DHG750R
    FADEC usually just takes care of the normal parameters, EGT, N1, etc. But a high time engine will have a reduced margin for stalls / surges, especially at high power settings. if other carriers are like US is (was?) full power is always used off 13 due to obstructions. If this B717 had 114 pax , it was certainly heavy and full power would be used.

This video from Youtube is very good in explaining the various reasons for a surge/stall.

As of a year ago it was still SOP at US for the Airbus and 737 to use max thrust avialable for 13/31 and 22 departures when they are used. The only runway approved for flex thrust on the Airbus fleet was 4 departures but it was still seldom if memory serves correct. The CFM powered 737's were derated engines as you well know and the Airbus 320 family also was derated. I cannot tell you much about the 190 because I only got to play with about 4 in my time with US.