Thread: Broad Channel Island now off limits?

Broad Channel Island now off limits?

I was driving on Cross Bay Blvd today and noticed some new fences are up along the bushes and parking lot. Curious as I am I took a detour and decided to snap a few shots to figure out what's going on.

It seems like they have some new fences up just South of the parking lot, extending all the way from Cross Bay Blvd to the waters. Complete with a sign that says "Wildlife Management Area" and a nice $500 fine + 6 months jail time.

I always thought the best spot ot be at Broad Channel Island is to take a stroll along the shoreline to the subway bridge, I have said many times, but never done it myself.

Re: Broad Channel Island now off limits?

Hmmm that stinks for the bird watchers who venture in their. I guess one of them stepped on the nest of a sparrow and now the area is off limits.

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar

I think this is an effort to reduce pollution on the beach. From my past visits there has been a lot of junk laying around.
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

There was a fence there going back years ago, and a sign or two as well... they just fell by the wayside over time. But the fence was more or less in the same area, and the sign, if anyone bothered to read it, indicated no one should venture past that point, which most did not. Its for the protection of the birds, turtles, horseshoe crabs etc.

There are some trails open to the public that the birders are familiar with.

At the end of the day, its a nature preserve. Nature preserves are nature preserves, mall parking lots are mall parking lots and parking garages are parking garages... etc, etc.

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"