Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: JFK 11/20 Air France

Re: JFK 11/20 Air France

Hmmm. Photography being the main goal for me here, I might wait for a sunny day. However, I will keep my eyes on the forecast. At present, the NWS is calling for 56% cloud cover at 1 p.m. tomorrow. If that percentage slides much lower as the event draws closer, I might take a gamble and head down. It's a 2-hour drive for me, though, so it's a big effort. I'm jaded by the first Emirates A380 arrival, which was under dismal conditions. At least that event had more historical significance since it was the first revenue A380 operation to the States.

Hope for 31L if you're out for photography. The lighting on 22L at 1:30 would be far less than optimal since the sun will be at 210 degrees then - close to nose-on but slightly on the other side of the plane from The Mounds. 31L lighting would probably be excellent if the clouds stay away. Winds are supposed to be from the west at 15, so I guess it could go either way.

This could get interesting. The forecast site I use has upgraded things a bit and now calls for 30% cloud cover tomorrow at 1. I'll check again in the morning, but if the 30% forecast holds true I might well try to get down there. Looks like they're expecting things to start breaking up by around 10 tomorrow morning.

Sky is completely blue here in Queens and it's only 7:30!
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Sky is completely blue here in Queens and it's only 7:30!
    Same here on Long Island. The storm has totally cleared out to the N/NE!!

hi guys... please let me know if you are heading out. I'd love to join in again.. my email is [email protected]. I work in midtown so it'll take me an hour to get there.

Things went from solid overcast and rain to clear in about 20 minutes this morning in Connecticut. NWS now calls for 26% cloud cover and winds slightly from the northwest. That's good enough for me to make the trip down.

The next trick will be runways. From a straight wind point of view, 31L would seem likely, but I know things don't always work that way at JFK. However, since AF uses T1, it would seem they could minimize the taxi time with this behemoth by using 31L vs. 22L. Anyone have any other thoughts on the runway? Making a mad dash from 31L to 22L is not my idea of a good time.

FlightAware shows AFR380 as "scheduled" but the Air France web site shows it underway with an arrival of 1:15.

I suspect Inwood will be the gathering spot - my cell # is 203-623-1281 if anyone wants to link up.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ
    FlightAware shows AFR380 as "scheduled" but the Air France web site shows it underway with an arrival of 1:15.
    FA shows it scheduled for 12:50 arrival, so don't cut it too close!

I'll be heading out, I'm sure I'll see you guys there!

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

That is because Flightaware doesn't give accurate info till the aircraft reaches our US airspace. I sure hope it's late. 1pm will be a tad early for some good light but I may head out.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Best of luck fellas. I eagerly await the first shots.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Wow, nice day out. Enjoy the sun and the clear air! Looking forward to the pics.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

So much for the rainy weather reports, now I really wish that I didn't work today, my regular day off of all things. Flightview on JFK's website is showing that the flight is right around Gander and an arrival time of 1:07pm, but we all know how cross atlantic flight tracking goes.

As of 1115 it is approx 700 miles out and has an ETA of 1300.. JFK currently on the 2's
    "You above all"

Flightaware is showing 12:42 at the moment (11:30) 728 miles to go.
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

Flight explorer also showing 1242 ETA as of 1136, 531 miles out
    "You above all"

I home sick guys, praying for 31L for the arrival.