Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: USS New York arrival in NYC 11-2-09

Re: USS New York [8 photos]

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    as far as the 21-gun salute goes, where are there any guns on that ship?
    The 21-gun salute wasn't with any ship's guns; there were seven sailors? Marines? (not sure) near the back of the ship with (I assume) rifles that did the salute.
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

Re: USS New York [8 photos]

And finally, one for the rotorheads:
    [/quote]

Wow that is way sweet. I'm getting woozy!! :lol:
    And I thought the 21 gun salute were the ships guns until I read otherwise in the paper.

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

Re: USS New York arrival in NYC 11-2-09

Does anyone know of a good vantage point (even on the Jersey side) to go and shoot her while she's at dock?
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by wunaladreamin
    Does anyone know of a good vantage point (even on the Jersey side) to go and shoot her while she's at dock?
    She's next to the Intrepid, right? Try Alexander Hamilton Park in Weehawken. I can give you more detailed instructions if you like:

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

Ah man that's a wicked pic Moose, thanks! I'll check it out on googlemaps.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Great vantage point from my office, except for the recently built (read: empty, useless) apartment building blocking off the whole front of the ship. :x
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

i had a great vantage point too:

taken from the captain's bridge onboard the USS Intrepid:

a USMC CH-53E

and V-22A were on display and open to the public to view:

i spent a good half hour chatting with the pilots of this V-22. they're both alumni of my first college ERAU Precott. they were telling me that "training flights" were no longer limited to flying around base for a while or making an hour hop for a burger. now they're able to go for blue crab or lobster in maine without problems thanks to the range of the V-22. pretty cool IMO, still don't like too many things about the bird. i'll stick to a regular fling-wing instead of that.

these guys seemed to be a little bored, but keep a keen eye out when boaters passed by:

noticed this while walking around on the flight deck:

the USS New York wasn't the only ship i visited, since my cousin and her husband were in town visiting we also went next door to the USS Intrepid museum. it was my first time back since the renovation of the pier and ship itself:

we also went below decks on the USS Growler:

the hangar deck was where most of the changes took place, even got to take my cousin "flying." i've always said id never want to ever fly a piston helicopter, but might make an exception for a classic bell 47.

G-BOAD looks to be in good shape now that she's sitting on the pier, shame that there is so much plexiglass inside though.

took one more from the pier, shame that the barge was there...

one thing i learned is that the ship will not normally deploy with aircraft onboard. if the need arises, a/c will join from either Navy or Marine assets. the hangar looked a small to fit 3 helicopters. 2 V-22s should be able to fit on the deck easily. these is plenty of room below decks for all sorts of wheeled and tracked vehicles, and 2 hovercraft fit perfectly on the flood-able deck.

all in all, it's a wierd-looking ship for the likes of the US Navy, but i guess that's where the future will lead. everyone onboard was accommodating and willing to answer questions. the two captains and staff sergeant from VMM-365 that i spent most of my time with were typical of marine aviators... they work hard and play hard too.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Did anyone else hear the news on WCBS 880 this evening about a special V-22 and Harrier flyover
    for the USS New York at around noon time on Saturday for it's Offical Commissioning Ceremony ??
    I was just wondering if the planes used for the flyover will be flying into LGA or EWR also ??

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S
    Did anyone else hear the news on WCBS 880 this evening about a special V-22 and Harrier flyover
    for the USS New York at around noon time on Saturday for it's Offical Commissioning Ceremony ??
    I was just wondering if the planes used for the flyover will be flying into LGA or EWR also ??
    http://www.newsday.com/news/new-york/us ... -1.1570359

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S
    Flyovers are scheduled for around noon, up and down the Hudson. Not sure if they'll be stopping at the airport, but it's possible.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

NYC OEM posted an advisory Friday afternoon but the boards were down for maintanence when I tried to post the info. Both Ospreys and Harriers were to participate.

I did see two Ospreys on the news flying, I don't know if the Harriers ever made it.
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

Finally made it in there today, got there by 10AM and the crowds weren't too bad, just going through my shots now.

According to the "Official" schedule the ship is to depart Thursday morning. I spoke to a few crew members who said they don't know the time yet and there is a rumor on the ship that some of the Marine units on the ship will be flying out on Thursday and the ship staying till Friday or Saturday. Again just a rumor.
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

I was there for the Commissioning Ceremony. It was very nice, we were on pier 88 where the ship was docked. They used the Intrepid pier for the speeches so we all watched it on large screens. Saw a lot of old friends and co-workers. One of my old co-workers, Nat Mitchell is stationed on the New York as a corpsman, Of course while I am talking to him a women faints on the stairs so we went into EMS mode. I brought my nephew who served in the Navy on the USS Stump and USS Saipan and is now NYPD. Unfortunately he had an evening shift so we had to leave before taking a tour.

What I saw of the ship it is a beauty and will serve us proud.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway
    What I saw of the ship it is a beauty and will serve us proud.
    you probably would have seen more than me, but it will definately work well. there is lots of room on the flight deck, could easily put down three MH-60s or two CH-53s.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Was just curious if they assign a tour guide for your group,
    and if so how long does the tour last on the USS New York ?