Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Staaaaaaaart spreeeadin' The News...... Yanks are in !

Staaaaaaaart spreeeadin' The News...... Yanks are in !

Yep, a big congrats to the New York Yankees, Joe Girardi and most importantly this time The Boss. What a magnificent game and a great season. I take my hat off as a Mets fan to them and bid best wishes to them against the Phillies. Thats true redemption for a Mets fan when the Phillies get squashed in the World Series. Cheers and well done.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Re: Staaaaaaaart spreeeadin' The News...... Yanks are in !

We will call this World Series The NJ Turnpike series.

I'm pretty stoked for this series.

This has been some good ball so far.

As a Mets fan, go yanks.

As a Mets fan....go Phillies.

There are very few teams that I will root AGAINST. I love good sports games. I'd rather have my team lose in a nail-biter than winby a blowout...that's boring. Sports is a game and it's meant to be fun.

I actually like the Yankees themselves. History and talent, very fun to watch. Their management and the MLB's lack of salary cap enforcement are my first objection, however. Second....are the fans.

I hate logging in to Facebook and seeing obnoxious Yankee comments from people who only started caring about the Yankees once October came around. The louder the comments, the less they seem to know about baseball. If I hear someone say the term "walk off" without there actually having been a walk off, some may get hurt.

I'm sick of seeing Facebook statii from Yankee fans that, upon losing, will never say "man that was a good game," but instead blame their own players and throw them under the bus.

I will root for the Phillies because if the Yanks lose, I won't have to hear the garbage from Yankees fans.

There are however, some Yankee fans that are true fans...and fans for the right reasons. To them I wish them honest luck and hope for some good games.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

GO PHILLIES!!!

Sorry, had to. :D

GO PHILLIES!

And yes I am a Mets Fan.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

GO YANKS!

I can't root for the Phillies under any circumstances. While the Mets vs. Phillies rivalry is relatively new (the Mets and Phillies never had good teams at the same time until recently), Philadelphia fans are even more obnoxious than Yankee fans.

Also, the more $ the Yankees make, the sooner they'll regenerate the tax dollars they used to build that atrocious new stadium.

As for the payroll complaints, ideally the rules would be different and there would be a salary cap, but as long as they're playing within the rules, what can you do? There are several teams who spend a ton of money and continue to lose. See: the Mets and Dodgers.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

A few coments I want to share. First I am a Yankee fan, and have been since childhood in Florida, in part because my long ago deceased father was a big time fan. When my dad was 12 (1924) his parents took him on a trip from Florida to NYC for the first time. My Grandfather took my dad to Yankee Stadium, where they saw Babe Ruth hit a home run. My wide eyed father was hooked, and passed his love of the team on to me

While growing up in Florida their where around 7 of us kids who lived within a 1 block area, and we always hung out together, especially during Summer vacations. We all turned out pretty good, and made something of ourselves. One of our group actually had a so-so career as a Major Leauge Pitcher, and his teams included the Yankees. But that was a while ago and his playing career ended in 2002, and he spent a few years coaching in the minors. But now he is back in the Majors, and is the pitching coach for the Yankees. I am thrilled for him and he loves his job, and I think he is pretty good at it to. He and I and 2 other Florida friends spent an evening together last July. At least then he was still humble and had not forgotten from where he came from. My respect for him is tremendous.

At my job I would gestimate about 1/3 are Yankee fans and 2/3 Met fans. I have one colleauge I am pretty close to who is the biggest Yankee HATER I have ever met. It really takes a lot of the fun out of baseball at work. Even though I LOVE living in NYC I really wish we where and always where a 1 team town. Maybe then 80-90 pct of my coworkers and other friends could all root for the same team. Their would always be some that are fans of team from elsewhere, and I have no problem with that. I have never hated the Mets and are often saddened during their off years. I respect the loyality so many Mets fans have thru good and sadly mostly bad seasons. I would love to see the Mets have more winning seasons, and even another Subway series.

One thing I really hate is when people hate the Yankees because they feel they buy the playoffs and World series with their huge payrolls. While their is some truth to that the way I feel is at least they spend all that money well. I think if your going to hate then hate the Mets Front Office for having the 4th highest payroll in MLB but still loosing year after year. Thats who should be put down I think.

This is all my 2 cents, Thank You for allowing me to ramble, and share my views. In closing I respect that many of us are different when it comes to what teams we like, and perhaps our love of Sports in general. At least we live where we are free to make our own choices !

The End

LGA777

I as a Yankee fan since 1975 when I started watching sports will alway's cheer on the Mets if the Yankees are not in it(Allegiance to NY baseball wise). Phil you are a traitor in The New York Baseball world. I would never cheer on the Red Sox if they are playing the Mets in the WS.

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar

GO Yanks and hit them hard! As a Mets fan, I passionately dislike the Phillies. Three years ago, the Phillies were nobody. Now they are NL East Champs for three straight years. After the Phillies eliminated the Dodgers from the NLCS this year, Philly fans were rioting in the streets wearing t-shirts saying "Phuck NY". The Phillies are still talking about the Mets even tough they finished 23 games behind them. They kept talking about the Mets last year at their World Series parade. It's all the fans and players can think about in my opinion. Is it necessary? No. Go Yanks!
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Philadelphia fans are even more obnoxious than Yankee fans.
    That is often the case, but if the Phils win, I don't have ot hear it as much as I would if the Yankees won.

Quote Originally Posted by LGA777
    I think if your going to hate then hate the Mets Front Office for having the 4th highest payroll in MLB but still loosing year after year.
    But that's just it. When the Mets lose, I do't get upset I'm going to support my team no matter what.

You're a great example of what a Yankee fan SHOULD be. Someone with some heart behind it....not a group of people that only come around at playoff time to root for a team they can't name five players on...and then obnoxiously flaunt victories without sportsmanship.

For me, again, no problems with the Yankees themselves, it's just the 80% of their fans that make me love it when they lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    I actually like the Yankees themselves. History and talent, very fun to watch. Their management and the MLB's lack of salary cap enforcement are my first objection, however.
    You realize the Mets have the second largest payroll at $150,000,000 a year? If there was any correlation between team salaries and championships, the Yankees would have won the World Series the last decade, and the Mets would have won the pennant each of those years as well. The fact that teams with small payrolls such as the Rays, Twins and Marlins (to name a few) have made the playoffs in the last few year and done well, shows me that baseball isn't hurting for a salary cap (not saying there aren't benefits to one though). If you aren't rooting for the Yankees because you think they have too much money and are upset at baseball for not "distributing" money evenly among all teams in the MLB, then I don't see how you can root for the Mets.

I hate logging in to Facebook and seeing obnoxious Yankee comments from people who only started caring about the Yankees once October came around. The louder the comments, the less they seem to know about baseball. If I hear someone say the term "walk off" without there actually having been a walk off, some may get hurt.
    Every team is going to have "fair-weather" and band-wagon fans. I'm sure some of the same people would be making the same quotes if the Mets were going to the World Series; unfortunately they struggle to make the playoffs on a yearly basis, so it's not like we'll ever know.. lol

I'm sick of seeing Facebook statii from Yankee fans that, upon losing, will never say "man that was a good game," but instead blame their own players and throw them under the bus.
    I'm guilty of this... But to my defense, when your team has a large payroll, and when you pay many of your players more than they would command at other teams, you expect results. I feel sorry for players that struggle in the postseason, but at the same time they aren't paid millions of dollars to try their hardest - they are paid to try their hardest and come up big. Maybe the reason the Yankees do so much better than the Mets is because players understand that when playing for the Yankees, there comes an expectation to do well and anything less than a postseason berth is unacceptable. I'm not so sure the mentality is the same with the Mets.

I don't think it's fair or even accurate to label Yankee fans "less classy" as Mets fans. I've run into some very unsportsmanlike and "unclassy" Mets fans. I've also run into some very unsportsmanlike and "unclassy" Yankee, Red Sox, Phillie, Rockie, Dodger, Angel etc.. etc.. fans. Every team has them. If anything I'd argue that Yankee fans represent a broader spectrum, and therefore more accurate picture of New Yorkers.

All I can say is that if the Red Sox were playing the Mets in the World Series, as a Yankee fan, I would root for the Mets; not just because I hate Boston, but because the Mets are a New York team and if the Yankees aren't in it, I'd like to see another team from my city represent well!

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

I am not surprised to see the Met fans root againsts the Yankees. Truth is the Mets will probably never win another world series and it has to be tough to be the 2nd team in NY. In fact their win in 86' was mostly facilitated by a horrible error by Bill Bruckner. It's ok because the Mets are simply not closers. They can't close the deal. The Yankees are the winningest team in professional sports for a reason. They are winners. They get the big hit, get the big out and rise to the occasion. Much as the reason Italy has won 4 World cups. They know how to win. It's something that can't be taught. I am glad we have got back to the fall classic and I think we have a good chance if CC can pitch to form. I am excited and invite all the Met fans to watch and enjoy some good baseball.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

>As for the payroll complaints, ideally the rules would be different and there would be a salary cap, but as long as they're playing within the rules, what can you do? There are several teams who spend a ton of money and continue to lose. See: the Mets and Dodgers.[/quote]

There are a lot of teams that make money but refuse to re-invest in their team like the Yankees. Win or lose they are never afraid to go
    out and try to make the franchise a winner. They've brought in a lotta of clunker free agents over the years which is one of the reasons why they havent been to the series in 6 years and barely got out of the first round after that. I know lots of fans around the country would love to have the Steinbrenners as owners. And all that prosperity trickles down to the people that work in and around the Stadium.
    BTW born and bred a Yankee fan by my Dad who went to Richmond Hill HS with "The Scooter".
    And not obnoxious either. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69
    I am not surprised to see the Met fans root againsts the Yankees. Truth is the Mets will probably never win another world series and it has to be tough to be the 2nd team in NY. In fact their win in 86' was mostly facilitated by a horrible error by Bill Bruckner. It's ok because the Mets are simply not closers. They can't close the deal. The Yankees are the winningest team in professional sports for a reason. They are winners. They get the big hit, get the big out and rise to the occasion. Much as the reason Italy has won 4 World cups. They know how to win. It's something that can't be taught. I am glad we have got back to the fall classic and I think we have a good chance if CC can pitch to form. I am excited and invite all the Met fans to watch and enjoy some good baseball.
    Like I said, I don't dislike the team itself. I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the magic that I've seen happen on the field at the handsof Yankees for the past 28 years of my life. It's the fans that ruin it.