Thread: What was your first Airbus spotted ?

What was your first Airbus spotted ?

I spotted a Hapag-Lloyd A310 on Rockaway Blvd at Rwy 22L at JFK. The tail was orange with a navy-blue "H" on the tail in stylized design. It must have been a charter as I never saw this company again at JFK. I think it no longer flies. This must have been sometime in the 90's. I kept records of what I saw but I have them scattered about my place. I hope one day to be able to share my photos with you guys like the TAP B744 photos and other "treasures" in my collection.

Re: What was your first Airbus spotted ?

Hi Speedbird - Good Question. I had to think about it for a bit and then think about it some more. Most assuredly it was Eastern Airlines in 1977, and probably at JFK at the terminal (since replaced entirely by T1). It didn't really impress me, and indeed, I think this aircraft marks the beginning of designs of lesser interest from a visual aesthetic point of view (though their relative rarity today makes them of marginal interest apart from the cargo versions in Fed-Ex or UPS paint).

The old colors Continental examples at EWR in the 90s were amongst, I felt at the time, amongst the ugliest aircraft I have ever spotted. Though, I have to admit the Monarch scheme looks sharp on that aircraft.

In retrospect, the A300 is one of the most important aircraft in airliner history as it is the beginning of the Airbus line, and also because it began the era of Big Twins.

I did luck out on the first Tri-Star delivered to Eastern. Though I was going to school at the time, by sheer luck I happened to look up while on Grand Street in lower Manhattan, and noticed it in route to its LGA debut.

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

My memory of my aviation-related childhood is not the best, but it was probably an Eastern A-300 at LGA. Although from my more conscious memory, it was almost surely a US Airways A319.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

F-BVGA - Air France fairly new at Heathrow, back when The Queens Building was open. Still had a mix of Air France Caravelles and 727s supporting it!

Regards

geoff
    For Providence area information I am your man!

Geoff, they just don't make commercial airliners like they used to.... not with parachutes anymore anyway... :D

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

First recollection would have an Eastern A300 at Newark, terminal B, round about fall of '85 or so. My pop took me with him to pick up my uncle who flew in from Miami...
    "Never ask an Irishman if he wants another drink... He'll only ask "Why wouldn't I?" in return..." -Lewis Black

I remember walking up the the cockpit and saying... What kind of Boeing is this??? In the cockpit of a PAA Airbus A300. When they told me what it was, I said it was not as cool as a 727 or a 747.... When told by the pilot that there were other aircraft types I replied that it was not as nice as an L10 either. THE PILOT AGREED. (the DC-10 did not come into the conversation)

I shortly later was taught the term EUROTRASH, later glorified on the website Airdisaster.com....ahhhh, the good old days! :borat:
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Sometime in 1977 I saw one of the 4 test-leased Eastern A-300's at my then hometown airport of TPA.

Regards

LGA777

Concorde as Aerospaciale later became Airbus and until Concorde's forced grounding in Nov 2003 Airbus made most of the bits for Concorde.

Without Airbus support Concorde would never be allowed to fly by the CAA or FAA.

For me 1996 KATL, MGM-ATL-BWI.
    This is my first shot of an Airbus aircraft.
    I saw this plane and had no idea what it was. I was a newb for all newbs. It was super clean as AJM just received them.

Senga

Senga

In 2002 I saw an A340 at LHR with that design on it.

That is when I saw my first AJM A340 as well.
    Its too bad they are gone now.
    Senga