Thread: Delta to Turn JFK Tower Pink, Host In-Flight Jam Session

Delta to Turn JFK Tower Pink, Host In-Flight Jam Session

ATLANTA, Sept. 28 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL) will kick off its fifth year of support for The Breast Cancer Research Foundation (BCRF) Sept. 29 by lighting the New York-JFK air traffic control tower in pink and honoring breast cancer survivors with a live in-flight performance by Hard Rock International PINKTOBER™ Ambassador Melissa Etheridge.

Delta will be joined by Etheridge, BCRF, and representatives from The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey at 5 p.m. EDT, Sept. 29 to light the exterior of the New York-JFK air traffic control tower in pink. Immediately following the lighting ceremony, Delta will host a charter flight for employee breast cancer survivors aboard its signature "pink plane" from JFK to Washington D.C.-Reagan National Airport. While in flight, Etheridge will perform a special acoustic rendition of her hit single "I Run for Life."
    Full press release: http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=768

Re: Delta to Turn JFK Tower Pink, Host In-Flight Jam Session

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and many companies are participating in charity events/drives to help
    benefit BCRF. Delta has been very involved in this for many years and I salute them for that. My company outlined
    their marketing strategy for our participation in this important and wonderful event yesterday. We had a rally and
    three survivors got up and spoke about their battle against this terrible disease. It was sad and quite uplifting
    at the same time.

Like the Empire State building JFK Tower now has the ability to be lit up for special events and on a daily basis now its lit up with changing colors. This is somewhat of a recent upgrade and looks similar to LAX tower at night. Its a nice touch to the landscape of JFK at night.

Via the Delta Blog:

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    Like the Empire State building JFK Tower now has the ability to be lit up for special events and on a daily basis now its lit up with changing colors. This is somewhat of a recent upgrade and looks similar to LAX tower at night. Its a nice touch to the landscape of JFK at night.
    Interesting. The new LGA tower looks like it may have the same ability...there are some neon-looking lights on the side facing the field that have been blue the couple times that I've seen them at night, not sure if they can change color.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    Interesting. The new LGA tower looks like it may have the same ability...there are some neon-looking lights on the side facing the field that have been blue the couple times that I've seen them at night, not sure if they can change color.
    Since the JFK Tower is a Port owned building, I see them doing such things...

but the new LGA Tower, is all FAA property (read; yay no port)...so I doubt you'd see funds used that way. Hell we can barely get new tires every month...

Quote Originally Posted by mmedford
    Hell we can barely get new tires every month...
    Don't be doing 90 on the ramp, and maybe they'll last a little longer. :D

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    Quote Originally Posted by mmedford
    Hell we can barely get new tires every month...
    Don't be doing 90 on the ramp, and maybe they'll last a little longer. :D
    No...

It's because Port has these sweepers that go over roads, and the metal that embedded into the "whiskers" separates, which causes pin holes in the tires...