Thread: KJFK 9/27, morning to noon (tentative)

KJFK 9/27, morning to noon (tentative)

Since I'll be heading over to the NYC Improv Everywhere mission tomorrow anyway, I figured I could do some spotting at JFK before the scheduled 2PM meetup. The spotting would take place from about 10am to 12pm local.

Re: KJFK 9/27, morning to noon (tentative)

Also, does anyone know what that cylindrical structure southwest of 13R is? It was a park of sorts year ago, but now there only seems to be dirt hills.

Additonally, has any of you been in building 269, located north of the midpoint of 13R? The big "Police" scene should mean PAPD, am I right? As a private pilot, have much access do I have from here?

Don't know what that thing off of 13R is, looks like a tank of some sort - don't know if that area is accessible to the public. Building 269 is the Port Authority Police headquarters. Unless you have business with PAPD, or are arriving in the back seat of a patrol car, you won't have access to anything there. It's not open to the general public for viewing/photographing.

Sunday's weather doesn't sound good, but if you do go out, I would recommend sticking with the usual spotting locations until you have a better idea of what goes on in and around the airport.

With my camera, if I can't get any closer than 1,000ft then I might as well stay home. Perhaps I'll have to find a way to get arrested by PAPD (just kidding. You don't have to worry about that again, Phil.)

Where did you get that profile photo from, moose?

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

I know there is spot around there that you can walk to when the tide is out. Art would know better. As for that police lot I would be careful. If your caught shooting there you won't last very long.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Interesting. One of the locals should know, maybe I'll try phoning them.

The cylindrical structure was once used as an overflow tank for "TREATED SEWAGE" before it was released into Jamaica Bay. The tank was not used since the early 80's and it became a favorite canvas for graffiti artists. NYPD Harbor used to moor at the dock near the tank and hang out.
    You're Never Too Young To Be A Dirty Old Man

Ugh, so we would have to worry about being misidentified as vandals, too. The life of a spotter...

Darlyn, why can't you just go to the regular spotting locations like everyone else? Honest question.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

Darlyn, why can't you just go to the regular spotting locations like everyone else? Honest question.
    Think he answered that. Scroll up. Also remember that not everyone frequents the "regular" spots. It's their right to do so as long as they practice some good judgement.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Stop insinuating I've done something reckless :) . I may have made some inconsiderate suggestions in past discussions, but at no point in time have I done anything even remotely jeopardizing.

As for my choice of spots, until I get a better lens I'll have to be very close to the target airfields. Sad, I know, but hey, look at it this way: there's nothing like having a 747 fly 200 feet over your head at 180kts.