Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olympic Airlines Ends JFK Service September 28th

Olympic Airlines Ends JFK Service September 28th

It's official: Olympic Airlines becomes "Olympic Air" as of September 29th, with lots of aircraft being dumped (including all four A340s) and all long haul service will be eliminated.

Catch them while you can...last JFK flight will operate on Monday 9/28.

Delta's JFK-ATH service will codeshare with the new airline.

:arrow: Details: Olympic Airlines Ends New York Service September 28th, Catch Them While You Can
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Re: Olympic Airlines Ends JFK Service September 28th

Glad I was able to catch the Olympic A340 twice while here at JFK this past weekend!! This was my first time catching it *ever*...and soon it will be gone!! Does Olympic fly to any other U.S. airports?

-Wendy:)
    "I can't get off till you get off!!" -AA flight attendant in DFW

Their only other A340 destinations were YUL/YYZ, JNB, and LHR. The Greek government also used the A340s for long-haul state visits so I wonder what they will do with the absence of a long-haul aircraft in the national airline. Perhaps

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Quote Originally Posted by Iberia A340-600
    Their only other A340 destinations were YUL/YYZ, JNB, and LHR. The Greek government also used the A340s for long-haul state visits so I wonder what they will do with the absence of a long-haul aircraft in the national airline. Perhaps
    maybe "acquire" one for themselves. they also have a fleet of Embraer Legacies.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Iberia A340-600
    I think the government actually owns all the A340s, and Olympic leases them back from the gov't. Maybe they'll keep one and sell the other three.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Thanks for the tip. This is very sad for me. I have been photographing the Olympic arrivals from Athens, flight 411 since the service was a B747. I fondly remember Olympic Zeus and the others.There was SX-OAA, SX-OAB, SX-OAC and SX-OAD. After the B747 service was switched to A343's, I was saddened. Having no Olympic at all is really sad. Times are really getting bad. This brings to mind when many airlines ordered Concordes only to cancel their orders when the price of jet fuel skyrocketed. I will hurry to Terminal One to see Olympic for the last time. I even have a model of the Olympic B747 in my house. I also used to visit the Olympic Tower on 5th Avenue to see and touch their huge B747 model and get brochures and timetables. The staff was always very courteous. They gave me ticket jackets to add to my collection. Every other airline also gave me the jackets except for Saudia; they refused.

Its been quite a run for Olympic at JFK. Their colors were a favorite of mine back in 1968.... Was very sorry to see the 707s go...

As for routes in the US, they were at Dulles weekly back in the late 60s/early 70s. Not sure how long that lasted. Not long I suppose since I see no images of them at DC on A.net.

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Didn't they also fly to ORD not too many years ago?

Until what year they brought 747s to JFK?

It was an item in my to-do list and a joy to finally photograph Olympic's timeless livery at JFK

Mario

Olympic Airways used the 747-200 into JFK until 1999

They used to service ORD in the early 1990's and prior to that in 1969 via Montreal.

2 more flights until the retirement of the A340's and Olympics final days in New York. :(

Election day in Greece is on October 4-there are "rumors "that the government wants to buy back Olympic -the outcome of the election will determine if that will happen or not-t was an issue in the debates that were held last week.
    Olympic Airways/Airlines is now reduced to nothing but a regional carrier thanks to the new owners-all staff were let go at Jfk, JNB, YUL, YYZ, all German Airports, MAD, Manchester, and Moscow as wel as other stations abroad.
    The Athens-New York Route by the way accounted for 12% of OA profits

So I ended plane spotting that same year since Olympic no longer flew a B747. I have an Icarus Frequent Flyer Card somewhere in my collection. I forgot where I put it among my souvenirs. My visits to their Manhattan offices was always cordial.

Olympic Airlines Flight 411 left Athens today at 11:57am-(Athens times)-4:57a.m. (NYC time)
    no luck in finding the registration of the plane-another last flight that took off was headed toward YUL/YYZ-that flight left about an hour earlier.(2 OA A340's are arriving in North America this afternoon)
    Hard to believe today is the last day of Olympic Airlines in North America

I'll try to go to T1 to see Olympic and say goodby. I'll try getting the registration; maybe SX-DFB ? I see it was SX-DFA, "Olympia" their flagship aircraft.

Is so sad that many airlines from the Eastern Europe are dropping services at JFK like Czech Airlines, Malev, Tarom and now Olympic, that an lame. New york have one of the greatest populations of Greek and that sad that they leaving JFK cause the new company doesn't want to have the Airbus 340 anymore. What an shame!!!

SX-DFA (Olympia) arrived RWY22L at approx. 14.54
    Christos

The sun was in a weird spot (directly in front of the aircraft) so the shot was a bit backlit. However it was great to experience the final arrival (for now) of my nation's airline into New York!

Christos