Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Olympic Airlines Ends JFK Service September 28th

Re: Olympic Airlines Ends JFK Service September 28th

Awesome, glad someone caught it.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by fly.mcs
    The sun was in a weird spot (directly in front of the aircraft) so the shot was a bit backlit. However it was great to experience the final arrival (for now) of my nation's airline into New York!

Nice picture, FLY.MCS

I saw Olympic taxy into T1 as I had no way to get to 22L. Unfortunately, she parked in back of the terminal. It was SX-DFA "Olympia". I stayed until she departed where 2 Port Authority trucks sprayed water around the A343 for her final visit. I said farewell to the staff at the ticket office. They were of course very sad. This is strange, when she left the terminal, instead of taxying-out to Rwy 13R for departure, she turned north over the bridge towards Rwy 13L. Was the aircraft getting a final tour of JFK?? I waited to see her depart but never did. It was getting dark.

We also lost the flights from Uzbekistan Airlines as well as Balkan Bulgarian Airlines and JAT when Yugoslavia broke-up. JAT had a nice bright blue D10. Already mentioned was Tarom Romanian, Malev Hungarian and CSA will soon end services to JFK. We recently lost some nice Asian airliners: Thai Airways, Israir as well as Air Tahiti but they only came for a year or two. There was a new service from Kosovo from Scanderbeg Air using Terminal One. I see it was discontinued. No more LTU with that bright orange tail or Condor with that lemon-yellow tail either, but we now have Air Berlin instead. Also, I never see Aerolineas Argentinas anymore. I believe it only comes in the winter nowadays with an Airbus A343.

There is a new service from Kosovo from Scanderberg Air using Terminal One.
    They went out of business.

OAL A343 was the first shot I took after I moved to NY and during my first trip to JFK.

Senga

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    There is a new service from Kosovo from Scanderberg Air using Terminal One.
    They went out of business.
    No they didn't, it was just a seasonal operation. They plan on doing it again next summer.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Huge loss airplane-photography wise for NYC. Perfect livery on IMO the best looking Airbus jet.

Love the shots by both fly.Mcs and Senga.

Goodmorning,
    I am an airline pilot here in Greece, I am very sad to see Olympic stop services to JFK and all of their long range routes, I have flown this route for the past 2 decades.
    I am wondering if we can find the last ATC recordings from startup,taxi,takeoff and departure of the last Olympic flight from JFK.

Thank you.

Olympic Airways/Airlines-Gone but not forgotten!!
    1957-2009
    Ath-Jfk-Ath route 1966-2009

Amazing so we lost not only ONE A340 this week but TWO....Turkish and Olympic. Just devastating.

So many 4 engined aircraft have been dropped form JFK its amazing. JFK has to be the 777-300 capitol of the world now as opposed to the 747 capitol.

Senga

Agreed, we also lost the Korean Air morning/afternoon flight recently to a B773. Their evening flight at 2000 is still a B744. Air France quietly switched-over to dropping their B744 altogether from CDG to JFK about 1 year ago. Recently, JAL switched and now we hear that QFA and SIA will be switching-over soon. I guess the 2 engine aircraft is much more fuel efficient and more economical to fly. No wonder Concordes were grounded. Only Air China and British Airways will still be using the B744 as well as freight flights (Cargolux, Asiana, CAL, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1
    Agreed, we also lost the Korean Air morning/afternoon flight recently to a B773. Their evening flight at 2000 is still a B744. Air France quietly switched-over to dropping their B744 altogether from CDG to JFK about 1 year ago. Recently, JAL switched and now we hear that QFA and SIA will be switching-over soon. I guess the 2 engine aircraft is much more fuel efficient and more economical to fly. No wonder Concordes were grounded. Only Air China and British Airways will still be using the B744 as well as freight flights (Cargolux, Asiana, CAL, etc.)

Air France has been sending in a 747 everyday for their early evening arrival into JFK and they have been flying the A340 also during the day.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

You bring-up a good point, why are some airlines like AFR, KAL, and JAL using their B744s for evening and night service only? It seems they are trying to hide them. They use the B777s and Airbuses for the more-popular afternoon flights. Why?

It could also be that we're still in a worldwide recession; Emirates dropped the JFK A380 service.

JFK is becoming the land of long-range twinjets with very few airlines using 747s, hard to believe. Few airports get a combination of so many 777-300, 767, and A330 airlines.

Asiana is one of the few who sends pax 747s. EL AL still does, and KLM sometimes, no?