Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AF1 to Albany Int. Monday the 21st

AF1 to Albany Int. Monday the 21st

I know there are at least half a dozen people in the Capitol Region around here. Nothing interesting ever comes to Albany, so this is rather noteworthy I believe.

http://blog.timesunion.com/business/...s-visit/15339/

President Obama will be speaking at HVCC on Monday morning, arriving sometime before 11:00am. Which is good, because I don't have class until 2 :D

Anyone going to be in the area and want to meet up? It's also a great chance to make use of the spiffy new spotting map of ALB that the contributors to this site have nicely put together for us!
    Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

Re: AF1 to Albany Int. Monday the 21st

Well, I am certainly more excited about AF1 coming than its contents, but I'll be stuck at work during the expected arrival time. Maybe I'll have a shot at the departure - who knows. My work to home travel route can take me right past the airport - if I so choose.

I tried to catch Biden when he came in July, but that was a bust. I drove over during my lunch but he came later - around 2. If you try to go out to catch AF1, just beware that some of spotting locations may be closed. I know that they had the cell phone lot closed for Biden's arrival (spot C on the map). Considering the time of day, the best spot for photo opportunities during the arrival may well be the observation deck. Midday arrivals to runway 1/19 are not usually very good for photo spotting. The observation deck at least has you up a bit higher for a better angle.

Last time AF1 came to ALB was in 1994 for a Clinton visit. At that time, they did allow the public to watch the arrival at the dead end of Sicker Road (Spot A). Even if it's allowed this time, however, that spot will most likely be backlit at 11:00am.

Good luck if you go out!

Dan

It was suupose to be in NYC around 13:00 but what I have seen now it may be here around 16:00.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway
    It was suupose to be in NYC around 13:00 but what I have seen now it may be here around 16:00.
    The revised NOTAM is for 1250 - 1425L.

Here's the TFR for the Albany visit:
    http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_9_0804.html

Effective times 1025 - 1340 EDT. Looking forward to seeing some shots from the upstate crew!

Drove by the airport on my way into work this morning. The cell phone lot is already closed.

I have an appointment from noon til 2. I'll not likely get any shots near the airport. I've got my camera with me at work, if they fly a runway 1 approach, I can get a long distance shot - oh, well ...

Arrival

That was exciting ...

Does anyone recognize the NYS capitol?

Neat shot!
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Neat shot!
    Thanks! Unfortunately, they came into rwy 19 rather than 1. In that shot, they were on the right down wind to 19. If they had come straight into 1, I would have had a better shot.

I did cruise by ALB after my appointment (2:30) and AF1 was already gone. Back in the office, the crew here said that they could see the departure better than the arrival. Oh well ...

Interestingly enough, AF1 was preceeded by and then tailed on the way back by a Miami Air flight

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/BSK3000

Quote Originally Posted by SmAlbany
    Interestingly enough, AF1 was preceeded by and then tailed on the way back by a Miami Air flight

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/BSK3000
    Interesting. Based on all the Andrews AFB action I'm guessing that is the current press plane which follows the president, which I believe changes from time to time.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Here are two quick ones. I butchered the landing because I was betting on a Rwy 1 arrival, however it put me in an excellent viewpoint for the motorcade. The Miami Air flight came in about 2 hours before AF1, so I would also assume it was for press.

Takeoff

Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

great shots...

What license plates are on those limos?

Looks like Washington DC plates.

hmmm, how come he doesn't have GSA plates...

interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Looks like Washington DC plates.
    I believe they are. Not GSA plates. Congress has special plates why not the boss.

There are two with the same plates in the shot.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan