Thread: Anyone in the medical profession?

Anyone in the medical profession?

I have a girlfriend in an MD pre-med program and the stress is getting to her...

Now what do I know...? I fix aviation stuff for a living...

Was hoping to get her a gift, that would boost her confidence and promote that I support her with that warm fuzzy feeling...

So I seek advice of others...

Thanks,
    Mark

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Re: Anyone in the medical profession?

tough problem to look for an answer here. too much depends on her personality. although, i've always found little things to count more that the expensive one...
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

pre-med, so she's in college?

Everything old is new again.

tips:
    1. Work out with her. It clears the head.
    2. a gift is nice but not necessary. The more thoughtful, the better.
    3. short weekend away to clear the head. (Fall drives through the Hudson Valley)
    4. dont be a pain in the ass when she DOES need to knuckle down to study.

(Having been there, I had friends who didnt understand the workload involved and all they wanted to do was party. )

Thats just off the top of my head... but as Matt said, personality means a lot too.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

There's a great spa in College Point, their website is http://www.nyspacastle.com. You can both go and relax. The entrance fee is about $30 and gives you unlimited access to the saunas, pools, and jacuzzis. Massages, manicures, facials, etc are all a la carte, but still reasonably priced. They have dining options as well. If that isn't something you guys would enjoy then maybe AC, Foxwoods, or Mohegan Sun? I think the most important thing you can provide her with is moral support and encouragement. Flowers help too
    You're Never Too Young To Be A Dirty Old Man

Well I was really looking for like Books every doc should have...

I spoke to Mike (Doclightning on Anet) and he recommended Nutter's guide to anatomy...

Just wondering if anyone knew of any others...

First, it's Netter's Guide to Human Anatomy. (It serves as a nice doorstop these days.)

Second, Doclightning is on heavy meds from a surgery so don't pin your hopes on that ;)

Trust me when I say that a spa treatment, as noted, is a better way (and it'll keep her anatomy in tune.)
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by mmedford

I spoke to Mike (Doclightning on Anet) and he recommended Nutter's guide to anatomy...

If you're looking to releive her stress why would you concentrate on gift ideas that revolve around what is causing her stress? You should give her something that allows her to escape what is causing her the stress so that she can refocus and regroup.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    why would you concentrate on gift ideas that revolve around what is causing her stress? You should give her that allows her to escape what is causing her the stress so that she can refocus and regroup.

Ding Ding Ding!

:borat:

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    Quote Originally Posted by mmedford

If you're looking to releive her stress why would you concentrate on gift ideas that revolve around what is causing her stress? You should give her something that allows her to escape what is causing her the stress so that she can refocus and regroup.
    I've tried...proposing day trips & vacations...hell even getting out to see a movie these days are troublesome... and she hasn't been able to make it through the movie without falling asleep...

She spends 20 hours a day (3:30am to 11:30pm), either in classes, studying or doing HW... running on 4 hours a sleep a day, a few extra on weekends...

Doesn't seem like she will be able to slow down for years...

So i'm trying...

factor in my up coming trip to OKC for 12 weeks and well...sending her little charms and cards will help soften the distance issues...

Hey meford, I know exactly what your gf goes through, as I'm finishing my pre-med years at Stony Brook... just know that whatever both of you do, just keep on hanging on. Past 4 years of my life have been quite tough myself; all nighters studying for exams, hours and hours spent in lab, shadowing doctors, and then studying some more. It's like a never ending cycle. Thats why I'm up at 3:30 on a Saturday morning, and No!, I wasnt partying

just try making the best of it, for both of you 2. There come many setbacks along the way, times where you get the feeling that you are not 'made for this stuff', times you want to quite and give up, but persistence is the key here!
    This major isnt just a major in college, its a way of life actually. It has caused a sacrifice of my social life, and family life, as well as taken away time from spotting ;)

What you can probably do is simply be supportive, encourage your girlfriend, and allow her some room (to be able to devote the long hours into study)

I am also curious to as what she is doing, or to what her activities are, which take 20 hours of her day?

Keep in Touch
    Cheers
    -Mo

oops! Totally forgot about the gift part..... I would say take her on a day-trip/weekend trip sometime next month, to New England, to see the fall foliage! Makes for a lovely stress free day/weekend as well as photo opps!