Thread: "Personal Use"

"Personal Use"

I know we, and I, have discussed this several times in the past, but I think we need a recap for newcomers.

I got my first shot on Anet in a while last week, and I already received an email from someone requesting a 2mb version of the photo....for "personal use".

I replied to this gentleman, asking what he defined as "personal use" that he would need a 2meg file for. Of course, as expected, he answered that he would make a large print for himself...personal use only though!!!

Now, I'm not into photography for money. I've given prints and large files to gov organizations, educational facilities and charities for free, but I would have to be stupid to give any stranger a high resolution file of mine.....for free no less.

That is actually the entire point of asking for permission....to PREVENT people from misusing the photos by printing them. And this guy had the BALLS to request a high-res by which to do it! Unbelievable.

I told him he can have my Airliners.net version for personal use only...but if he wants a print, it starts at $40 for 8x10.

Please do not fall for this. Our cameras are too expensive and we deal with too much garbage for people to take advantage of us like that.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

Re: "Personal Use"

Was it by any chance a B777 shot?
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

Yea that guy is famous. He loves the 777 and has sent me numerous emails the same as Phil's. The first one I got he told me he wanted to make a small print for himself and that he would not share the file I told him all he had to do was pay me the 10 bucks and shipping and I would have it made and sent to him but asking someone for that big a file he would never get a response. He didn't answer me but kept sending me the same request for 777 shot 2MB files. I blocked his email address. Ignore him Phil.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Yep, my Emirates 777-300.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

He trolls jp and a.net looking for shots - his name is Dannis - I don't know what it is about him, but there was a thread on the jp forums a while back about him. One person claimed to know him and said he's harmless - it is for personal use - I sent him one many moons ago but have never responded to his requests since.
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

Dannis has been doing this for years. Finally got the low down on him when I was in Cali last..he's a bit "slow" and does only use them for personal use.

Program Coordinator

I've gotten numerous requests from him as well. I also received a number of requests for "high-res" copies without watermarks of a number of my Seafair Blue Angels shots...and I respond the same way Phil did - take the shot I have on a.net or jp.net or flickr - otherwise here is my pricing guide.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    Finally got the low down on him when I was in Cali last..he's a bit "slow" and does only use them for personal use.

Oh dear. I hope all those pages of photos don't stick together.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Phil

I know what you mean, but thats the price every one pays for putting their photos on the internet.

On my website i bet my photos will be down loaded, just hope they don't start selling them and making money out of my photos as I took them so i deserve the profits.