Thread: DL In Talks With JL To Become Primary Shareholder

DL In Talks With JL To Become Primary Shareholder

We just got word that we are in preliminary talks with Japan Airlines to become their primary shareholder.

Given the Japanese government's propensity to support DL/NW (they recently pushed JL management to pursue code share agreements with us), the likelihood of this deal going forward is very high. Also remember that back in the day, NW had a key role in establishing JL. The implications for travel in/out of Asia are obvious should this deal move forward. Money talks. It might be in JL's best interest to move forward as a member of the Skyteam alliance.

This is a developing story: http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssI...30087420090911
    TOKYO, Sept 11 (Reuters) - Delta Air Lines (DAL.N), the world's biggest carrier, is in talks to invest in Japan Airlines Corp (JAL) (9205.T) and become its top shareholder, public broadcaster NHK said on Friday.

Re: DL In Talks With JL To Become Primary Shareholder

UPDATE: JAL now swears they are NOT in talks with Delta.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Now sounds like Air France/KLM are involved in the bid as well. The consortium with Delta would take a 33% stake, which is the maximum foreign ownership stake allowed under Japanese law.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

If this deal does go through, I suppose JAL will exit OneWorld and join SkyTeam.

They might be denying it now, so as to not ruffle any feathers, but I can assure you that there are talks going on

http://www.reuters.com/article/compa...58A40V20090911
    TOKYO/ATLANTA (Reuters) - Delta Air Lines (DAL.N), the world's largest carrier, is in talks to take a minority stake in Japan Airlines Corp (9205.T) in a bid to expand its reach in Asia, a source familiar with the matter said on Friday. The business alliance would likely include code-sharing on international flights, said the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal has not been decided and negotiations are not public. Delta and Japan Airlines, or JAL, declined to comment.

Quote Originally Posted by JZ1
    If this deal does go through, I suppose JAL will exit OneWorld and join SkyTeam.
    Something tells me the boys in Dallas and London are on their way to Toyko right now lol

Yep I was right...the boys from Dallas must have flown to Tokyo ;)

http://www.thestreet.com/_aol/story/105 ... m_ite=Feed