Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just spoke with KEWR PAPD and guess what they have to say...

Just spoke with KEWR PAPD and guess what they have to say...

The guy claims any photography of airplanes is not allowed. WTF?? I think I'll call them again and explain why it is perfectly legal to shoot pictures from the numerous public areas surrounding the airfield (like the IKEA store).

Re: Just spoke with KEWR PAPD and guess what they have to say...

As explained to you in other threads, that is the stance of the PAPD. It would also prove fruitless to argue with them.

More importantly, your arguing could make them take an even more aggressive and angry posture towards nethusiasts, making the already difficult photographic challenges at EWR even tougher for ALL of us here.

As we've all recommended, we suggest you stick to Ikea like on the map, and if police come and ask you to leave, you should leave.

Arguing with the police, or calling them to persuade them, will do nothing. If you argue with them while you are spotting, you might even end up in handcuffs, so don't be surprised if that happens.

I'm not in the mood to receive a phone call from PAPD because you wanted to educate them on the our rights.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

IKEA it is, then :(

Phil there's no real reason to talk sense into this guy, he's proven to have his own agenda and perhaps a ride in the backseat of a PAPD car and a few questions will help him understand. I mean how many people told him where he went was trespassing? Some people really have to learn the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by darlyn
    IKEA it is, then :(
    btw that is private property as well so I'd suggest you don't mouth off to the security guard who may ask you to leave their property, or you may very well end up in the backseat of a cruiser.

North Bergen, New Jersey, United States, 111685032180118, North Bergen, New Jersey

why dont you call the EWR operations manager, tell them what time you plan on spotting and ask them if it will be okay to take pics and take their number down, if any officer gives you a problem, tell them the name and number of the ops manager (without being a douche)

That's an excellent idea. I assumed the PA was in charge of the airport. They do own it, after all.

Port Authority Operations and Port Authority Police are not run by the same people.

Even if you do that, and you get a name of an Ops guy that says yes, don't become argumentative with the police if they tell you they don't care.

Keep in mind that there are hundreds of enthusiasts around here who would be very displeased with you if you started trouble and ruined it for them by taking a tough stance against police.

Also keep in mind that you may have to deal with Elizabeth Police, not even Port folks...and they especially won't care what Ops name you throw at them.

At all three local airports, photography is not allowed on airport proeprty, and PAPD enforces this. This is not a rights issue, as it's their airport and they can make that rule if they want.

Off airport property, it is a different jurisdiction. Though aviation photography is technically legal, if you are on ANY private property, you can be told to leave by that property's owner (Ikea), or must leave if police tell you to. Mention permission from someone in Ops or trying to convince them that you're press will not change that.

Again, I'd like to repeat that you are not to use your membership at NYCAviation to convince the police that your shooting is ok as well.

Okay lets not go crazy here...
    What WOULD be a good idea, is if we either wrote a letter, or some sort of formal message to the proper Newark Airport Authorities stating that
    we are a group of innocent (well most of us are) civilians that enjoy the hobby of plane spotting, and then we give them a little background on
    what exactly plane spotting is, and then from there we would ask for written permission for one certain day at a certain designated time for the approval
    by them to let us stand/sit in a certain section of the airport and let us do what we all do best, and we you know should be very sincere and all that jazz,
    and give them a list of the names and information of everybody before hand, and maybe just maybe probably on a weekend or even a day thats less hectic @
    newark they may approve of it, but like I explained we would have to be sincere, show them the NYC aviation website maybe, send them a group photo of everybody.. you know?

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyFlyer4
    What WOULD be a good idea, is if we either wrote a letter, or some sort of formal message to the proper Newark Airport Authorities stating that
    we are a group of innocent (well most of us are) civilians that enjoy the hobby of plane spotting, and then we give them a little background on
    what exactly plane spotting is, and then from there we would ask for written permission for one certain day at a certain designated time for the approval
    by them to let us stand/sit in a certain section of the airport and let us do what we all do best, and we you know should be very sincere and all that jazz,
    and give them a list of the names and information of everybody before hand, and maybe just maybe probably on a weekend or even a day thats less hectic @
    newark they may approve of it, but like I explained we would have to be sincere, show them the NYC aviation website maybe, send them a group photo of everybody.. you know?
    As Phil stated above you are not only dealing with Port but in many cases like JFK for example you have NYPD, NCPD, and PAPD, the same goes for LGA. While your idea may work in other places its not very logistically sound with the NY area airports. You simply have to many layers that would need to be informed.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

OR, you could do what the rest of us do... which is keep a low profile, not cause a scene and expose yourself or the group unnecessarily, take your pictures and go home at the end of the day satisfied. if you have your own contacts then do as you please. don't expect others to support your ideas when you show a complete disregard for the rules we've all agreed upon a long time ago.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    As Phil stated above you are not only dealing with Port but in many cases like JFK for example you have NYPD, NCPD, and PAPD, the same goes for LGA. While your idea may work in other places its not very logistically sound with the NY area airports. You simply have to many layers that would need to be informed.
    wow thats a bummer for us then, I really can't think of anything else. What I will do is when I get my car in 3 months, Im definitely driving to harrison and just parking in some ghetto neighborhood and just plane spott with my eyes. :shock:

If you get a car, drive to LGA or JFK where there are easier places to spot at without risk.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    wow thats a bummer for us then, I really can't think of anything else. What I will do is when I get my car in 3 months, Im definitely driving to harrison and just parking in some ghetto neighborhood and just plane spott with my eyes. :shock:
    Not to mention I do have a nice small spot on right off Raymond Blvd/Freeman St where you can spot there. However its under Newark PD juristiction, but other than that, u dont get bothered there much. Just remember to have ID at all times, if asked to leave, you must leave, but dont leave annoyed with the cops though, it doesnt nothing at all.
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15