I thought that I would start this thread and tell you about what happened today at DAB.

It was September 8, 1979 that Delta Airlines commenced daily nonstop service between Daytona Beach and Atlanta. Thirty years later, Delta Airlines was honored for this milestone, and our county council proclaimed today to be Delta Airlines Day. Special guests included all of the Delta Station Managers that worked the Daytona Beach Station. Delta corporate personnel (Steve Smith was one I believe) made an appearance at the airport and said a few words in front of Delta's Ticket Counter. The entrance to the counter was arched in red, white, and blue balloons. Airport personnel and county government officials also attended (DAB is county owned). There was free parking, food, and drinks (no nickel and diming here!) In fact, some people (civilians) were present today that were also present back in 1979 when Delta started up here!

As an aviation enthusiast, longtime Delta customer, and supporter of Daytona Beach International Airport, I thought I would share this local news with all of you, whether you be in NYC or other parts of the country even though this doesn't make headlines in your local newspaper. As a community with many highs and lows when it comes to local air service, this is a very big deal that we can at least keep one carrier in town for this long! You know how all the other's did. Since 1979, Delta has seen many airlines come and go and come back (and sometimes even go again).

For any Delta employees on this forum, I express my sincere thanks for your airline's dedication to Volusia County (the county in which Daytona Beach is located), and a hearty congratulations on this milestone.

Daytona Beach International Airport
"Just Plane Easy!"