Thread: Hanscom Field (KBED)??

Hanscom Field (KBED)??

So I'll be up in Needham, Massachusetts this Friday/Saturday/Sunday AM for a family function and I noticed that Hanscom Field (KBED) is only about 20 minutes from the hotel I'm staying at. I'll probably have a block of time Saturday afternoon where I can go exploring and I'm curious about BED. Is it both private and military? Are there any good spotting locations? Basically would it be worth my while to check the facility out.
    Thanks in advance.

Re: Hanscom Field (KBED)??

It was joint use, but is now a civilian airport. Hanscom AFB was always part of Systems Command, performing electronic systems work, and has never had flying units assigned. On the military side, you may see some random visitors, but no regular aircraft in the pattern. Looking at the airport web site and FlightAware, it sounds like it's mostly charter, corporate, and light aircraft, maybe a little commuter business.

Yea there isn't anything there except for a 707 :)
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology N404PA 707-300
    http://jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?air ... display=30

Senga

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    It was joint use, but is now a civilian airport. Hanscom AFB was always part of Systems Command, performing electronic systems work, and has never had flying units assigned. On the military side, you may see some random visitors, but no regular aircraft in the pattern. Looking at the airport web site and FlightAware, it sounds like it's mostly charter, corporate, and light aircraft, maybe a little commuter business.
    Thanks Moose (and Senga). I also believe Boston Medflight is based there so depending on time I'll probably do a day trip. Hey ya
    never know. :)

Program Coordinator

The area around KBED is home to some gorgeous countryside. The Minute Man National Historic Park is a great stop. The airport itself is hard to spot from, and Massport is quick to notice spotters in and around the terminal. Don't be surprised if you're paid a visit.

No problem keep an eye out for N404PA as it could be out on the ramp being prepped for a flight.
    Apparently it last flew on 2009/08/27 MTH04PA - N404PA
    Senga

Thanks guys. I hope the Massport guys arent Red Sox or Patriot fans!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Better keep my sports gear off.

I believe most of the Sports charters for the teams playing the Red Sox or perhaps the Red Soxs charters them selves use BED, however these usually arrive and depart late at night.

Regards

LGA777

Program Coordinator

Sports charters for the teams playing the Red Sox or perhaps the Red Soxs charters them selves use BED
    Most charters do use BED, but PVD is also a common one (especially Patriots), and BOS will sometimes receive them.

That 707 is sweet Senga - I didn't know it was there myself!

My first acceptance to jp.net was a KBED photo:
    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php? ... 910&nseq=3

The Patriots have been using a Delta 767 out of PVD on most of their flights. The Giants that were in for Thursdays game arrived on a Continental 757-300 this past week into PVD.

The Red Sox signed a deal with jet Blue for their charters last year but I do not know if they are using them or not as of yet

Rich B

Quote Originally Posted by AA757

The Red Sox signed a deal with jet Blue for their charters last year but I do not know if they are using them or not as of yet

Rich B

Nope. They're using Delta this year.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL9800
    EVERYONE IS THERE TO SEE THE SHERPA!

Jerslice,
    The first time I saw it I saw it flying to SWF on the trackers back in 2003 and then It was basically an unknown aircraft with no images on the internet and nothing but census data on it showing it existed. (Just like my avatar of N720PW was until I shot that too) Luckily it flew again to SWF a year later almost to the day in 2004. The second time and the last it visited SWF I managed to see it well before it departed BED to SWF. When I shot it I had no idea what the heck I would see on the approach. I was a little disappointed due to its bland and non non descript look but its uniqueness made up for that. It did like 6 touch and goes and then flew back to BED. Its hard to get as it doesn't fly often.
    Here is the first landing at SWF

Senga

Quote Originally Posted by jerslice
    The area around KBED is home to some gorgeous countryside. The Minute Man National Historic Park is a great stop.
    The airport itself is hard to spot from, and Massport is quick to notice spotters in and around the terminal. Don't be surprised if you're paid a visit.

I did a quick run and it was pretty quiet and really no good spotting locations. You are rightr about the area around it. Very nice. But I decided to head down to Boston and with no traffic got there pretty quickly. Hadnt been there in some time so I drove around
    downtown before heading over to Charlestown area and first parking by the Harborview which was really nice with some beautiful views of the waterfront then up to the Bunker Hill Monument. Parked and walked around there also. Cool neighborhood with great brownstones and narrow, hilly streets. It was a great weather day and I hung out about 2 and a half hours before heading back to the hotel.
    Such a difference than NYC. I had no problems with traffic driving in and out or even by Boston Commons and parking spaces were plentiful. I know it was a Saturday but Manhattan is a big pain in the keister to get into ANYTIME!!! :x :lol:

Program Coordinator

Glad you enjoyed my hometown! Wish I were there...it's pouring here in Seattle today...

Quote Originally Posted by jerslice
    Glad you enjoyed my hometown! Wish I were there...it's pouring here in Seattle today...
    Raining in Seattle? How rare. :)
    I love Boston, great town to visit. I've been there a number of times over the years.
    Not too fond of their sports franchises though. :lol: :lol: